Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Drop support of too old PHP versions

The point I started this thread is that I believe that CI needs some big steps to move ahead.
The old structure of the framework needs some redesign.. Its build long time ago and today's PHP is very different, in the same direction must be going and CI as framework.
CI can't just continue to move in just the old direction it has. It needs to be up to date and for that some core methods must be pushed to a new level.

I want to notice 1 thing, Any one with old PHP Love/Project will be aways able to use CI 2.x and CI 3.x.
How ever if we want CI not to die we need to keep it close to the modern PHP as it is a PHP Framework !
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

(11-19-2014, 11:09 AM)kilishan Wrote: Second - you conveniently ignored the preceding paragraphs when you plucked that quote out. I'll reiterate here. There's nothing stopping you from using CI with any version of PHP you want. As far as I know there's no blockers up to and including 5.6. Do whatever you want with your own code. It's a free world and depends on the needs of your project.

No I agree with you. Moving from 5.3 to 5.6 is fine. I said this in one of my other postings.

(11-19-2014, 11:09 AM)kilishan Wrote: One path that I could see being viable, if the community demanded it and was willing to seriously step up and help out, would be to have a 4.0 with all of the bells and whistles, while maintaining an LTS version of 3 for older PHP versions. But the team that actually contributes and maintains the repo is extremely tiny at the moment and none of them get paid to do anything.

I agree with you, as I have said the exact same thing! Cool

As for the rest of your post. It's totally subjective. One mans pov will differ from another even with the same project. You aren't going to please everyone. I'm starting to think these types of discussions are like fighting with the wind. The council im sure will come up with what they think is best.

I'm sure if another group want a framework which forces 5.6, the CI 4.0 version will be forked. Big Grin

You're right you have mentioned some of that. Forgive me. Up against a tight deadline and I'm tired and feel like I'm getting sick, so I'm grumpy. Smile

I guess it touched a nerve when you say things like
Quote:Seriously, CI is not going to go anywhere except being a niche framework if this mentality of the race to the bottom continues.
and seem to think that every new bell and whistle must be used in new versions of frameworks, and say the framework is going to shit if it doesn't happen. That's the point I was trying to make previously. Many of the new things (like generators) are primarily a different syntax for doing something that can already be done in a way that doesn't force everyone to upgrade. 
As I said - everyone should use whatever version works for them. Many projects end up on shared hosting so that's something framework maintainers have to think about, if they want the framework to be useful. I'm not trying to be a grumpy curmudgeon here, and I whole-heartedly appreciate the fact that people are excited about CodeIgniter coming back and about new features in PHP, I just think a little consideration of the group as a whole and all of the various places and uses the frameworks sees would be awesome. 
Looking over PHP 5.5 and 5.6 features again, and, personally, there's only a couple that even halfway excite me, so maybe I am an old curmudgeon. Smile I just think that forcing it's use for something that can be written slightly differently and work with older versions is worth it.

Blah blah blah ...

This thread is in the "CodeIgniter 3.x" forum and CI3 will support PHP 5.2.4, period. There's no reason not to, simply because it already does, it's practically complete and will be released very soon.

CI4 is another story, but arguments about whether it requires 5.3, 5.4, 5.5 or 5.6 are pointless.

It surely will bump up the version requirement to at least PHP 5.3, which is the cornerstone giving us namespaces, closures, guaranteed existence of some classes, functions, low-level support for stuff like Blowfish '2y', etc.

The next big thing is traits in PHP 5.4 and that's the only thing we really need to decide on. If we decide that we can't live without traits, then 5.4 it is. Other than that however, there's no significant enough difference between versions that can't be worked around.

So far, you guys are wasting your time.

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2014, 11:19 AM by awalls.)

The priority at present should be to get CI3 wrapped up and released with it's current support of PHP versions.  That will put an end to this saga around the release of CI3 which has been going on for far too long.  If this was finalised and released we can all move on (and create a new CI4 thread Wink ).

BTW...great job by BCIT for taking this on and breathing some life back into CI

(This post was last modified: 11-20-2014, 09:09 PM by spjonez.)

(11-19-2014, 10:25 AM)no1youknowz Wrote: Oh but wait, if you are on CentOS 6 sure, 5.3 will be supported until 2020. Nevermind that if you are in active development, servers have already been upgraded to 7 and php 5.4 is available.

Seriously, CI is not going to go anywhere except being a niche framework if this mentality of the race to the bottom continues.
Production servers do not jump major versions a few months after release. New servers yes, existing ones won't upgrade. At least I've never seen it happen in the 15y I've been a developer.

It's not a race for the bottom. Namespaces would be a welcome addition, auto-loading is just lazy, callbacks in PHP make me laugh (it will never be async), really I don't understand what you think you're missing.

(11-20-2014, 09:06 PM)spjonez Wrote: Production servers do not jump major versions a few months after release. New servers yes, existing ones won't upgrade. At least I've never seen it happen in the 15y I've been a developer.

It's not a race for the bottom. Namespaces would be a welcome addition, auto-loading is just lazy, callbacks in PHP make me laugh (it will never be async), really I don't understand what you think you're missing.

Different companies have different goals.  Company A where you work may not need to upgrade.  Company B who closely watch their server applications and NEED features as they come out, do upgrade and whenever possible.  

Sorry to hear you work in companies that are stagnant.  Big Grin

You don't understand what is missing because you just don't know.  I know what was missing before because I needed that functionality.  Actually, I have eluded in previous postings that where I am now.  It has all the required functionality I am looking for.

(11-20-2014, 04:56 AM)Narf Wrote: Blah blah blah ...

The next big thing is traits in PHP 5.4 and that's the only thing we really need to decide on. If we decide that we can't live without traits, then 5.4 it is. Other than that however, there's no significant enough difference between versions that can't be worked around.

So far, you guys are wasting your time.

That's all I needed to know and why I participated in this thread.  Now that my question has been answered, there is no more need for me to participate and continue wasting my time.   Cool

(This post was last modified: 11-21-2014, 11:43 AM by sv3tli0.)

People min PHP version equals the standard used for building the framework.. its not a problem to use it with 5.6 or even 7 when its out..
If the framework feat your business model it doesn't matter what is that min. php version required
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

(11-21-2014, 10:44 AM)no1youknowz Wrote: Different companies have different goals.  Company A where you work may not need to upgrade.  Company B who closely watch their server applications and NEED features as they come out, do upgrade and whenever possible.  

Sorry to hear you work in companies that are stagnant.  Big Grin

I'm the CTO of a software company. Pretty sure I'm good at my job, here's my personal GitHub: https://github.com/monsterlane?tab=repositories

You didn't answer my question either. Other than namespaces, what task will suddenly become easier in 5.4-5.6?

(11-21-2014, 10:44 AM)no1youknowz Wrote: That's all I needed to know and why I participated in this thread.  Now that my question has been answered, there is no more need for me to participate and continue wasting my time.   Cool

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB