Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI3 User Guide Style

We have a new style for the CodeIgniter 3 User Guide, and would love your comments on it!

The user guide can be read online or you can download it and read it offline.
James Parry
Project Lead

It is fine. One note I've got. The font for code snippets has a small size - 12px.

font-family: Consolas, 'Andale Mono WT', 'Andale Mono', 'Lucida Console', 'Lucida Sans Typewriter', 'DejaVu Sans Mono', 'Bitstream Vera Sans Mono', 'Liberation Mono', 'Nimbus Mono L', Monaco, 'Courier New', Courier, monospace;
font-kerning: auto;
font-size: 12px;

Increasing this font size somehow would be nice.

Its clean and simple, easy to read, but I agree with @ivantcholakov about code formatting.
Furthermore in the mobile (max 768px)  breakpoint, the main nav works ugly, it should be similar to a drop down overlay, instead of pushing the content to right.
On longer pages (for example PHP Style Guide) a fixed table of contents needed for easier navigation.

Job well done. Like it, but ...

I miss the complete overview from the old docs. OK, I have to get over that. Smile

As @orionstar pointed out there needs to be a table of content on the longer pages for easier navigation and overview. Doesn't have to be visible all the time. One click away would be acceptable.

Also the general menu shouldn't scroll out of sight. It could stop scrolling with the content when the bottom of the menu becomes visible. It could then scroll upwards with the content until the top of the menu becomes visible. Thus it would always be visible.

The table of content on long pages would benefit from two columns on wide screens.

I'm having an issue with the colors of the menu. It's grey on dark, dark on white and grey on grey. Stick to one of lighter on darker or darker on lighter and then only make minor variations.

When screen width is just above the break point where the menu is hidden the menu is ridiculously wide. The design would benefit from a more narrow menu.

That's my two cents!

Great Job! - need I say more?

Really nice!

Good job but I'm also miss the complete doc overview like Peterdenk said.

Personally think it's faster to search specific topic using CTRL + F from the full table of contents than waiting the search box to roam in the entire database/directories and display results slowly on the page. Or by clicking multiple times few level down from the navigation link on the left. I think there are way too many clickings compare to previous doc.

The current one is nice but it's good if can keep the previous slide down full overview table of contents.

I was little bit scared about that because old CI documentation was top level for me but I must say the new documentation looks good too. You did a good job!
I find only one bad thing, ok it is only cosmetic thing but I must mention it. When you look on
http://www.codeigniter.com/userguide3/he...elper.html and for example on notation
Code:
element($item, $array[, $default = NULL])
so the round brackets are red the same as parameters. So it's opticaly little worse to reading for me. Maybe would be better use another color.

And I have one question. Do you plan in future multilingual documentation or there will be documentation only in the english language and other languages leave for fans sites?

PS: Like alenn said slide down (table of contents) was better but it doesn't matter. ;-)

I do not want to devalue your work... but no, no, no.
One reason that I love CI is documentation. The colors and design is in some way like Laravel documentation now...
Again - sorry, but please keep old style. The new one is not better then old. It's not more readable or user friendly.
I'll agree if only elislab have some pretentions for the old design.

(12-16-2014, 12:18 PM)fireball70 Wrote: I do not want to devalue your work... but no, no, no.
One reason that I love CI is documentation. The colors and design is in some way like Laravel documentation now...
Again - sorry, but please keep old style. The new one is not better then old. It's not more readable or user friendly.
I'll agree if only elislab have some pretentions for the old design.

We do not have the option of retaining the old style documentation. EllisLab made the conscious decision to move to Sphinx-generated documentation when they embarked on CodeIgniter 3. They are using it for ExpressionEngine, and planned to share a style between that and CodeIgniter.

Our only choice, at this point, is do the best we can with the tools at hand.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB