Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
IRC Channel

We used to have a helpful IRC channel for CodeIgniter support, but it has been taken over lately by foul-mouthed kids. I won't be frequenting it any longer, sorry.

I encourage the community to consider our Slack channel instead. It does not have as many users, but is much more civilized. I plan to hold future "office hours" here.
James Parry
Project Lead

I will try to keep this short and civilized, in order to not be called any more names.
Your IRC channel #codeigniter on the Freenode network is more or less dead. Except for a few of us regulars. Yes we make jokes to pass our time, and yes, some of those jokes might be considered offensive, but we all know each other, and we primarily direct those jokes at each other.
But when someone comes along with an serious issue, we help them out, unless they are complete imbeciles and don't have a single wish to even try to follow our advice. I am truly sorry, but I do not wish to spend my free time as someones personal debugger. Not that you have asked me to be. But I gladly helped out when I could and knew on my own accord. Something I do not wish to do anymore after this post, and a couple of words that came up on the channel regarding this situation. I will also gladly part the channel in the next few minutes.

(07-27-2017, 04:19 AM)slax0r Wrote: I will try to keep this short and civilized, in order to not be called any more names.
Your IRC channel #codeigniter on the Freenode network is more or less dead. Except for a few of us regulars. Yes we make jokes to pass our time, and yes, some of those jokes might be considered offensive, but we all know each other, and we primarily direct those jokes at each other.
But when someone comes along with an serious issue, we help them out, unless they are complete imbeciles and don't have a single wish to even try to follow our advice. I am truly sorry, but I do not wish to spend my free time as someones personal debugger. Not that you have asked me to be. But I gladly helped out when I could and knew on my own accord. Something I do not wish to do anymore after this post, and a couple of words that came up on the channel regarding this situation. I will also gladly part the channel in the next few minutes.

I agree with this post, and this whole topic came up , was because of a comment I made on IRC yesterday towards Narf. I have been frequenting this channel for a few years. We get maybe.... 2-3 people per day actually looking for help. The majority of the conversation is off-topic.... which, given the state of the channel...maybe it is better to say that support is off-topic.

Is the language or topics sometimes too far? Yes. Absolutely.

What should we do in a dead channel? Sit in silence praying that someone comes in needing help, to break the silence?

Just to re-iterate what slax0r said, this language stops whenever someone joins that actually needs help.

(07-27-2017, 04:57 AM)jimi Wrote: I agree with this post, and this whole topic came up , was because of a comment I made on IRC yesterday towards Narf.

No, your comment towards me is just a fresh example that coincided with the entire situation. I woke up to this topic and had nothing to do with it.

I know most of it is banter between friends, but Jim is right that you guys have taken it too far, and it needs to stop. Not because we care of how you joke with each other, but because as low-traffic as it may be, we can't have a CodeIgniter-associated channel that is non-stop sex jokes.

This hasn't come about because of any specific comment, but more the general tone of the IRC channel, which has deteriorated over the last couple of years. The channel hasn't been as active as it once was, but it has still been an official community support mechanism, and the channel tone is not consistent with that.

Channel members have been helpful, I agree, but CodeIgniter the project needs to be separated from socializing and locker room banter. We'll give Slack a chance, and see how that works out.

You can join the CodeIgniter Slack community at http://codeignitersignup.ciblox.com/

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2017, 08:41 AM by marcogmonteiro.)

I've been using this channel for almost 10 years now. Made friends there. Met people AFK from this channel. Travelled across Europe just to hang out with them for a while and have a few beers.

Yes, I'm one of those so called "foul-mouthed kids" you speak of. But maybe, instead of just killing the channel, you could be the adult (since we clearly are not) and just talk to the people that was there everyday and ask them to take it down a notch.

Instead, you just pushed the community out of something that was active, into something that is not and made everyone that was active in that channel leave because they don't feel welcome anymore.

Good call!
Website: marcomonteiro.net  | Blog: blog.marcomonteiro.net | Twitter: @marcogmonteiro | TILThings: tilthings.com

(07-27-2017, 08:37 AM)marcogmonteiro Wrote: I've been using this channel for almost 10 years now. Made friends there. Met people AFK from this channel. Travelled across Europe just to hang out with them for a while and have a few beers.

Yes, I'm one of those so called "foul-mouthed kids" you speak of. But maybe, instead of just killing the channel, you could be the adult (since we clearly are aren't) and just talk to the people that was there everyday and ask them to take it down a notch.

Instead, you just pushed the community out of something that was active, into something that is not and made everyone that was active in that channel leave because they don't feel welcome anymore.

Good call!

I have brought up the language & tone before, asking the group to take it down a notch or two. Each time, that lasted for a while, and then the offensive tone resumed. Talking to the people who are in the channel has only helped temporarily, and it is time to try a new approach.

It is great to have a "locker room" where you can hang out with friends and where any language goes, but would you invite your kids or your boss there? I think that locker room needs to be separate from the "workplace". The IRC channel is still in place, but the topic line will be modified to reflect that it is more locker room than workplace, and not an official community support vehicle.

I been to the channel for over 8 years, spend quite some time helping the community through it and at least we deserved something more than calling us "foul-mouthed kids", is sad to let the channel die like that, but I guess the admin knows whats best.

Aside from this 'unfiltered' chat problems,
I think moving to Slack platform might be a good start.

it's about time CI community to have a much more manageable and full featured chat platform.
the way Slack could enable US to integrate with many related tools such as
- Github/Bitbucket
- CI/CD
- Error Tracking using Sentry an similar
- Channel Separated chats
- And so'on
might be better.

please CMIIWW...

I find it highly ironical that people being asked to stop making strongly vulgar jokes are all of a sudden throwing a tantrum over being referred to as "foul-mouthed kids".

What is it that triggers you?

Is it the "foul-mouthed" part? You are foul-mouthed, and I am too. That's a fact.
Or is it being called a kid? James is old enough to be your father. Let it go.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB