• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unfortunately, codeIgniter series v3.0 slower than series v2.0 twice.

@kilishan: Perhaps I may be wrong in determine the proportion of the slow, but I'm not wrong when said there is a difference between CI2, and CI3 in the loading speed.

As for your talking:
"are they running the same PHP version" <--- Yes.
"are the servers identical" <-- Yes, the two versions on the same server.
"same DB version and table types" <--- I'm still do not use databases so far.

Notice: I would like to say something to you, that application is just a very basic application, consist of one file(controller), and another file (view) only.
Also that application is just a test to decide if I will use CI v3.0 or continue in use CI 2.2.1

I just downloaded fresh copies of CodeIgniter-2.2.1.zip and CodeIgniter-3.0rc3.zip.
Installed them both on my box NO changing anything 100% default.

Ran ab -n 1000 -c10 http:... on both a few time to heat the opcache.

CI3 might be a little slower but nothing I'm to worried about.

Something that small could have been from me switched windows on my local box or something.
It's so close it's not even worth my time to push the testing up to my servers.

My results are below.

PHP Version 5.5.17

Results:

CI2
Server Software: Apache/2.2.29
Server Hostname: ci2.localtest.me
Server Port: 80

Document Path: /
Document Length: 1925 bytes

Concurrency Level: 10
Time taken for tests: 0.331 seconds
Complete requests: 1000
Failed requests: 0
Total transferred: 2223000 bytes
HTML transferred: 1925000 bytes
Requests per second: 3023.65 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 3.307 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 0.331 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 6564.04 [Kbytes/sec] received

CI3
Server Software: Apache/2.2.29
Server Hostname: ci3.localtest.me
Server Port: 80

Document Path: /
Document Length: 1902 bytes

Concurrency Level: 10
Time taken for tests: 0.354 seconds
Complete requests: 1000
Failed requests: 0
Total transferred: 2215000 bytes
HTML transferred: 1902000 bytes
Requests per second: 2821.74 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request: 3.544 [ms] (mean)
Time per request: 0.354 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate: 6103.67 [Kbytes/sec] received

3000+ requests per second? Dang - I need to swap out my HDD for an SSD Smile
Support Development  • Practical CodeIgniter 3  •
Myth:AuthVulcan - CLI Tools for CI4

I have the same problem.

I develop a CI-based CMS. During my testing with 3.0.0, page loads have fallen down from 300ms to 1200ms.
It does not seem to be related to the database class. With full caching activated, I go down to 0 or 1 request per load, and it is still a lot slower.

I installed CI2 and CI3 on a local xampp server. No modifications at all, just the default welcome page.
I get an 18ms average with CI2 for page load, but a 32ms average for CI3.

I had been using the 3.0DEV branch for the past year without any problems. It seems that it is only in the last months that things got slower. I'll keep on troubleshooting and keep you posted if I find a cause.

Should we open a GitHub issue or is this too vague yet?

Oh, as usual I figure things out an hour after posting in a forum.

My conclusions : although the core is a little bit slower than version 3, the real bottleneck in my case was caused by the PCONNECT option in the database.php settings. By setting PCONNECT to TRUE, my page load times came back down to their usual speeds.

Hope this helps somebody else.

(04-11-2015, 10:17 AM)svezina Wrote: Oh, as usual I figure things out an hour after posting in a forum.

My conclusions : although the core is a little bit slower than version 3, the real bottleneck in my case was caused by the PCONNECT option in the database.php settings.  By setting PCONNECT to TRUE, my page load times came back down to their usual speeds.

Hope this helps somebody else.

pconnect can be great to have on for low to medium traffic sites. However, for high volume sites, it can create some serious issues overloading the database. When it is turned on, the system doesn't close any connection and it stay opened to news queries at any time. So you will quickly reach the max connections if you have a lot of traffic.

Turning it of, as it is by default, and the system will close each connection when done and create a new one if it needs again.

I have personally had issues with this when pconnect was true as default in CI2 and forgetting to set it to false, or getting unexpected amount of traffic while it was set to true.

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  

Theme © 2014 iAndrew