CodeIgniter Forums
A new web? - Printable Version

+- CodeIgniter Forums (https://forum.codeigniter.com)
+-- Forum: General (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Lounge (https://forum.codeigniter.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: A new web? (/showthread.php?tid=71838)

A new web? - kilishan - 09-29-2018

I stumbled across this today: One Small Step for the Web. In it, Tim Berners-Lee, one of the founders of the web, talks about why him and a number of other smart people have decided to help save the internet by building a new internet on top of it. One where everyone controls their own data, can choose who gets access to what, and can change that at anytime. And he's built a company to help make it happen.

I've just started really wrapping my head around this, but his plan seems solid. It's got me very intrigued and fascinated. Since we're all developers of the web here, seemed like a perfect place to share it. At the very least, I think it's something we all need to be aware of.

Here's the tech itself: Solid.

RE: A new web? - skunkbad - 09-29-2018

I was looking at that earlier. I guess I fail to see how it will be possible to keep data from getting into the hands of others. It sounds interesting, but just like some people disallowing cookies, the internet experience suffers until one gives in. So, that sounds empowering? Maybe you understand it better than I do.

RE: A new web? - kilishan - 09-29-2018

(09-29-2018, 08:54 PM)skunkbad Wrote: I was looking at that earlier. I guess I fail to see how it will be possible to keep data from getting into the hands of others. It sounds interesting, but just like some people disallowing cookies, the internet experience suffers until one gives in. So, that sounds empowering? Maybe you understand it better than I do.

Well, with scraping, nothing is safe, but looking at the docs, all content is represented by linked data, similar to http links, but have more details about relationships with other objects, etc. Taking a forum as an example, I might make a main post. That actual text lives within my POD (as they call it). Your comment on the post lives in your POD. The forum software just stores the links to the items and their relationship. Same with your profile data (email, avatar, name, etc). They are just links to information and we can always control who to give that information to and who not to.

It sounds like it should block the issues like Facebook recently had exposed with Cambridge Analytica, or whatever they were called, since we would have to theoretically approve that. I am a little fuzzy on how something like that would work, and I'm sure there will still be people scamming people to get info.

It's still too early to say how well it will work in practice, but I think the idea is fairly solid, no pun intended.

RE: A new web? - sv3tli0 - 09-29-2018

It is quite interesting but at least for now I don't see how this idea will come in use.
Most of the people don't care about web decentralization..

And the big minus would be that such decentralization will be "disconnecting" people. The biggest benefit of social network is connection between people which in other case would never known that they exist (even that this is the most abused thing in the net). Losing that is too big price and I don't think that normal users would do it..

RE: A new web? - kilishan - 09-30-2018

(09-29-2018, 11:07 PM)sv3tli0 Wrote: It is quite interesting but at least for now I don't see how this idea will come in use.
Most of the people don't care about web decentralization..

And the big minus would be that such decentralization will be "disconnecting" people. The biggest benefit of social network is connection between people which in other case would never known that they exist (even that this is the most abused thing in the net). Losing that is too big price and I don't think that normal users would do it..

From what I've read in the docs, especially the part on Linked Data there is no loss of connection. It's just a change of where the data comes from. You could still build a Facebook with all of the same features, but the users retain their data. Heck, you could even analyze the built page and inspect it for keywords to serve advertising if you wanted. The biggest difference is that the user gets to choose which services get to use their data.

RE: A new web? - Sofiana97 - 07-17-2022

new Internet, consider another world