Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Learning with CI2 Tutorial, but using CI3?

Hey everyone, I'm new to CodeIgniter and I'm just about to start learning how to use it. I have a good amount of experience with PHP and Object-oriented Programming.

I subscribe to Lynda.com, and I find their video tutorials to be really helpful for me when learning new tools. They have a CodeIgniter Tutorial, but it's for CodeIgniter 2, and I plan to use CodeIgniter 3. I'm wondering how much I'm going to have to re-learn if I learn based on CodeIgniter 2 and then move to CodeIgniter 3? Is this a bad idea? I get kinda bored reading through documentation when I'm entirely new to something, so it's nice when I can learn by watching a video, it's just more engaging for me.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2015, 01:10 PM by CroNiX.)

There are quite a bit of changes between 2.x and 3. As you probably know, 3 hasn't officially been released yet, so there aren't many tutorials floating around for it yet. I'm sure once it's released that will change. It shouldn't be too much longer as they're into the Release Candidates now.

But the best place to find the differences is in the userguide to upgrade from 2.x to 3.
http://www.codeigniter.com/userguide3/in...ading.html

(02-12-2015, 01:09 PM)CroNiX Wrote: There are quite a bit of changes between 2.x and 3. As you probably know, 3 hasn't officially been released yet, so there aren't many tutorials floating around for it yet. I'm sure once it's released that will change. It shouldn't be too much longer as they're into the Release Candidates now.

But the best place to find the differences is in the userguide to upgrade from 2.x to 3.

CI 2 and CI 3 not the same way to call class and functions ,can you explain to us if there are a lot of changes or a little ,i want know if someone can write code using CI 2  can write code using CI 3  Huh  Huh

I gave you the link with the changes between 2.x and 3. Did you read it?

i'll but i asked you Because you have experience with CI 2 , CI3

Basically, if you follow a CI 2 tutorial when using CI 3, you're going to have to apply the changes in the upgrade guide. If you can't be bothered to read the upgrade guide to find out what those changes are, then you probably won't be able to follow a CI 2 tutorial and get it to work in CI 3.

To answer the more general question, there are libraries and add-ins available which have fairly simple instructions to get them to work under both versions. Still, some code (primarily code which digs into the internals of CI) requires a lot more work to upgrade from CI 2 to 3.

(This post was last modified: 02-21-2015, 07:35 PM by edjon2000. Edit Reason: Making details a bit clearer )

Just a quick reply to timd.mackey and hicham,

(02-12-2015, 09:05 PM)hicham Wrote:
(02-12-2015, 01:09 PM)CroNiX Wrote: There are quite a bit of changes between 2.x and 3. As you probably know, 3 hasn't officially been released yet, so there aren't many tutorials floating around for it yet. I'm sure once it's released that will change. It shouldn't be too much longer as they're into the Release Candidates now.

CI 2 and CI 3 not the same way to call class and functions ,can you explain to us if there are a lot of changes or a little ,i want know if someone can write code using CI 2  can write code using CI 3  Huh  Huh

Your best bet is to read through the upgrade guide, I have a few websites that are currently written using CodeIgniter 2 which I have recently upgraded to version 2.2.1, as these are fairly large and involved sites, I will hold off upgrading them to 3xx until it is fully released, as the changes for these sites would take a while to do.

hicham Wrote: They have a CodeIgniter Tutorial, but it's for CodeIgniter 2, and I plan to use CodeIgniter 3. I'm wondering how much I'm going to have to re-learn if I learn based on CodeIgniter 2 and then move to CodeIgniter 3?

There is a tutorial using CodeIgniter 3xx in the userguide which you can work through that may help answer your questions, @timd.mackey I am sure video tutorials will follow nearer the final release date for CI 3xx Smile

edjon2000.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB