Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI3 Download Size

(This post was last modified: 03-31-2015, 08:26 AM by ciadmin.)

I am seasoned Java Developer and work with PHP project using framework like CI and Yii.

Now when CI_3 is released, the download size increases from 2.1MB to 6MB. What is actually included.
Any special library or functionality. No idea.

Appreciate if the leader of the forum can shed some light over it.

regard
Saifuddin

(03-29-2015, 02:25 AM)ssaifuddin Wrote: I am seasoned Java Developer and work with PHP project using framework like CI and Yii.

Now when CI_3 is released, the download size increases from 2.1MB to 6MB. What is actually included.
Any special library or functionality. No idea.

Appreciate if the leader of the forum can shed some light over it.

regard
Saifuddin

It is because of the User_Guide. if you remove this and leave only the system and applications folder it's size is only 1.9MB.

The official package (ZIP file) is just about 2MB, what you've downloaded (and you've done that before CI3 was released) is a snapshot of the develop branch at github, which as @slackfighter has noted, includes a lot of extra stuff like user guide sources and test cases for the framework's code.

Not that there aren't new libraries and such, but filesize means nothing. Smile

Hmmm - the CI3 zip download is 2.0MB, and the .gz version is 1.4MB. When extracted, I show the total size, with the framework and user guide, as 8.1MB.

The CI2.2 zip download is 2.2MB, and extracts to 4.4MB.

The extracted CI3 user guide takes 6.1MB, which is much larger than the CI2.2 user guide at 2.7MB.
The extracted CI3 framework is 1.8MB, compared to the CI2.2 one, which is 1.3MB.

So, you are correct that 3.0 takes more space than 2.2 when expanded, but you are incorrect when you say that its download is larger Undecided

I wonder, is talking about download size important?

Yes, it is important when you have 16KBps gprs/edge connection as your only connection..
[source:MyExperience]
Big Grin

(04-04-2015, 07:16 AM)s4if Wrote: Yes, it is important when you have 16KBps gprs/edge connection as your only connection..
Big Grin

This is really slow those days .. but even with this speed you will lose no more than a few minutes to download it. 
Remember that downloading the framework is just the beginning of your work so even a few minutes doesn't sound much..
So for now 2/3 MB which is less than 1 mp3 file Smile

P.P> Know that for most of other frameworks you will lost really more time downloading them vs CI.
If CI goes through Composer for example and add's third party libs in setup you will be lost..
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

(04-04-2015, 08:20 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote:
(04-04-2015, 07:16 AM)s4if Wrote: Yes, it is important when you have 16KBps gprs/edge connection as your only connection..
Big Grin

This is really slow those days .. but even with this speed you will lose no more than a few minutes to download it. 
Remember that downloading the framework is just the beginning of your work so even a few minutes doesn't sound much..
So for now 2/3 MB which is less than 1 mp3 file Smile

P.P> Know that for most of other frameworks you will lost really more time downloading them vs CI.
If CI goes through Composer for example and add's third party libs in setup you will be lost..

Yes, i agree..
Big Grin

Refer user guide and changelog

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB