Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What has improved codeigniter at this time, after the transition?
Rainbow 

I'm trying to find that it has improved codeigniter and I see very little, sometimes I think I have to completely forget this framework, even if the work done and there is much loved in the past.

Just out version 3 is not finished, and are already thinking about version 4, we see neither head nor tail of this progress.

Datammaper is the best ORM and is not compatible?
I do not see the direct integration with the packages and composer?

What happens here? Please, if I'm wrong, you can correct me?

(05-02-2015, 05:50 AM)jcarlosweb Wrote: I'm trying to find that it has improved codeigniter and I see very little, sometimes I think I have to completely forget this framework, even if the work done and there is much loved in the past.

Just out version 3 is not finished, and are already thinking about version 4, we see neither head nor tail of this progress.

Datammaper is the best ORM and is not compatible?
I do not see the direct integration with the packages and composer?

What happens here? Please, if I'm wrong, you can correct me?

Can you please contribute to improve it ? I think we all should work hard for it to improve it, its of course of of the best frameworks out there.

I'm not part of the internal CI team but being a CI user since 1.6 I'll take a shot at this.
CodeIgniter 2 started roughly 4 years ago http://codefury.net/2010/12/codeigniter-reactor
Composer wasn't around, Dependency Injection wasn't the rage, did we even have namespace? and so on...
Decisions made for the "next version" of CI were made with what was available at the time.
Between 2 & 3 it certainly has been a "bumpy road" (no one denies that).
https://ellislab.com/blog/entry/ellislab...odeigniter
Heck while not "production ready" by CodeIgniter's standard's I've used CodeIgniter 3 in production since 2013.
Now during that time they could have thrown multiple years of work out the door when PHP "changed" but instead they decided to finish what they started many years before and that is CodeIgniter 3.
I don't think anyone denies that v3 is a "little dated" and this is why everyone is already looking forward to v4.
Everyone that loves this framework knows they have a "fresh slate" to refactor and update CodeIgniter.

Hopefully the "dark days" and the version that felt like it would never "ship" are behind us and now everyone can finally take a deep breath and we can start to think about where CI needs to go.
Again I'm not part of the team so this is just my take on it.

DMyers

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB