Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How much is too much session data?

Thanks everyone. I have decided that I will keep the session data as clear as possible, and everything else will be table driven.

I love the term 'fingerprint' from spjonez and will be giving that some thought. If the same finger print type can be used for anonymous and logged users, that would be highly beneficial.

I have really changed my mind on this so thank you again everyone.

Best wishes,

Paul.

(07-10-2017, 10:31 AM)PaulD Wrote: Thanks everyone. I have decided that I will keep the session data as clear as possible, and everything else will be table driven.

I love the term 'fingerprint' from spjonez and will be giving that some thought. If the same finger print type can be used for anonymous and logged users, that would be highly beneficial.

I have really changed my mind on this so thank you again everyone.

Best wishes,

Paul.

browserfingerprint is an interesting topic Smile

(07-07-2017, 12:08 PM)PaulD Wrote:
(07-07-2017, 10:41 AM)Kaosweaver Wrote: We have audit data which is like session data (we track everything from an admin's tool so we can track whatever we need to) - and our largest table is over 50 million records and 20 gigs. (we also have a fair amount of iron behind that)
Firstly, that sounds like an amazing site. Congrats on such a successful implementation. I really like the idea of your audit data. I thought I could just interrogate the session blob but actually that disappears pretty promptly so I will give some thought to something like your audit data.

Could you tell me a little bit more about how it works, or how you implemented it. Just a broad overview of course. Have you replaced the sessions with your own? Not sure I am keen on trying that, or do you just use additional tables to record data as and when it is written to sessions, so you can analyse it later (or similar). It seems like a great idea. I was thinking about logging page views of site visitors to start tracking where they go and what they do. I know there are packages that do similar but they always seem to have lots of bloat I don't need, or do things in a way I do not want. So was considering building something to work the way I wanted.

Best wishes,

Paul.
Hey Paul, sorry I didn't reply, I had my entire family visit for a family reunion that they all opted to come early, without telling me until the day of arrival. Hadn't been back to a computer till today. (reunion was drama free, so that is a huge success)

Anyways (I know you've moved off of this, just a FYI) - we have an audit model which writes the data to the correct table, records the user, the original data and the changed data, timestamp and IP address and then any needed information (like record ID#, table, etc) - we could literally go back in time and recreate the database on any given second on the clock and have an accurate state of the site replicated at that point. It wouldn't be a pretty process, but it could be done.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB