Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
My needs are very simple - can I start using CI4?

All I need for my hobby site is:

1. Linux Ubuntu 18.04 Server
2. Basic MySqli or PDO Database 
3. Pagination
4. NO email
5. No fancy stuff

I would like to completely re-write a site first started with CodeIgniter 1.7 and has been incrementally modified and now uses CI 3.19. 

As you can well imagine the current version has a vast amount of redundant script and reached the point where it is difficult to maintain because of the old revisions.

I was wondering if CI4 has ironed out all the basic MySqli and pagination bugs and I can start importing just the required scripts and leave all the old redundant scripts behind?

I know hindsight is required but are there likely to be major changes to the CI4 basic requirements?

Previously I have created a couple of CI4 test sites which run without any problems and feel relatively confident that it is safe to start re-writing the new site. 

I would be grateful for a detailed reply rather than just "CI4 is not to be used for a production site"

I'm sure official answer still is "it's done when it's done", but I'm glad you asked the same question.

I'm ready to start learning the inner workings of CI4, and I want to do it on a mini-project, and hopefully current developers would have a gut feel if it's now more or less there and just needs few more libraries or is it likely to completely change.

Quite interested to hear the answer too Angel

First off, it's not even Alpha release yet, so we have to maintain the "CI4 is not to be used for a production site" Smile

I know there are a few people using it already in various stages so that's a personal choice. We are at a place where we don't expect many large changes, and hope to have the Alpha release out soon-ish. One thing I anticipate gets a pretty decent refactor is the exception handling, and providing more flexibility than what currently exists, but that shouldn't affect too many people - just provide more options.

You should know, though, that if you do build on CI4, it's always possible we'll refactor something that will break your site and cause you extra work, so there's that. And security issues that might be found, etc. So - it's possible, but can't really recommend it.

As for pagination - it works differently now, so it might have fixed old bugs, might have introduced new ones. Smile

(06-25-2018, 10:30 AM)kilishan Wrote: You should know, though, that if you do build on CI4, it's always possible we'll refactor something that will break your site and cause you extra work, so there's that. And security issues that might be found, etc. So - it's possible, but can't really recommend it.

First, Lonnie, your effort on CI4 is much appreciated.

I've extended (or more, hacked) CI3 somewhat for our company platform and was positively surprised that most random edge cases have made it to CI4, sometimes very close to my own implementation - so to say that I'm excited to have a lot of it come straight out of the box is understatement.

There's difference when you know you definitely want to change something, and when you know the core is there and just needs some polish, so we don't expect is all I personally was after, as I am quite keen on learning the new version now and get a bit of a head start.

Keep up the good work and see you the other side! Cool

(06-25-2018, 02:07 PM)Pertti Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 10:30 AM)kilishan Wrote: You should know, though, that if you do build on CI4, it's always possible we'll refactor something that will break your site and cause you extra work, so there's that. And security issues that might be found, etc. So - it's possible, but can't really recommend it.
I've extended (or more, hacked) CI3 somewhat for our company platform and was positively surprised that most random edge cases have made it to CI4, sometimes very close to my own implementation - so to say that I'm excited to have a lot of it come straight out of the box is understatement.

Nice! That makes me happy to hear that. I'm curious what edge cases we helped solve, though?

(06-25-2018, 02:14 PM)kilishan Wrote: Nice! That makes me happy to hear that. I'm curious what edge cases we helped solve, though?

Other than the entity, using UTC timestamps, etc, which are more common, the one thing that I can remember making me go "oooh, didn't realise someone else needed that" without browsing through documentation is running multiple applications with one CodeIgniter installation.

Assuming there's a way have shared models/libraries somewhere all apps can access, it just looks much tidier solution coming out of the box with documentation than what I had hacked in.

(06-25-2018, 10:30 AM)kilishan Wrote: First off, it's not even Alpha release yet, so we have to maintain the "CI4 is not to be used for a production site" Smile

I know there are a few people using it already in various stages so that's a personal choice. We are at a place where we don't expect many large changes, and hope to have the Alpha release out soon-ish. One thing I anticipate gets a pretty decent refactor is the exception handling, and providing more flexibility than what currently exists, but that shouldn't affect too many people - just provide more options.

You should know, though, that if you do build on CI4, it's always possible we'll refactor something that will break your site and cause you extra work, so there's that. And security issues that might be found, etc. So - it's possible, but can't really recommend it.

As for pagination - it works differently now, so it might have fixed old bugs, might have introduced new ones. Smile

Many thanks for the confirmation and you are doing a great job! 

Keep up the good work Smile

I have just:
1. registered a new free domain
2. installed CI4 online and locally
3. about to start creating a lean and mean duplicate site
4. Hopefully when finished I just need to 
  a. replace the Application folder 
  b. add tests and writable folders 
  b. change the $BaseUrl
  c. change  /public/index.php
5. Looking forward to learning the new CI4

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2018, 01:16 AM by John_Betong.)

[Image: avatar_4308.jpg?dateline=1529656108]

[Image: buddy_online.png] Pertti 

>>> he one thing that I can remember making me go "oooh"...  running multiple applications with one CodeIgniter installation

Yes it does make CI updates a lot easier.

(06-26-2018, 01:02 AM)John_Betong Wrote: Yes it does make CI updates a lot easier.

For unrelated sites or apps, I'd still probably use individual CI installs, as I wouldn't want to randomly break sites. Better safe than sorry, I guess.

In our case it was multiple "mini-sites" that needed to be on it's own just to make code and front ends organised better, but it also had few shared models and what not that I didn't want to keep having to update between different projects/repos.

(06-25-2018, 02:14 PM)kilishan Wrote: Nice! That makes me happy to hear that. I'm curious what edge cases we helped solve, though?

Oh, and TABs for indentation!!! Big Grin

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB