Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[split] CodeIgniter 3.1.11 Released vs CI4 Rants

(09-26-2019, 07:16 AM)kamote Wrote:
(09-22-2019, 10:31 PM)seunex Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 08:26 PM)donpwinston Wrote:
(09-21-2019, 12:36 AM)kamote Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 01:25 AM)mudiadamz Wrote: Keep work on this version 3, i don't even want that version 4. I mean coding experiences should be as simple as using this framework.

I usually just lurk here but decided to create an account just to support this. 

Please dont kill CI3 by CI4. CI3 works fine and very simple and easy to use.

CI4 remains simple while adopting "modern" PHP.
 Modern code or no modern code the main object is to get the result they wanted. CI4 coding style will be stressfully using Namespace. CI3 I'd strongly awesome to move on.

The first time I saw the namespace, I was like oh just like the other frameworks, I know where this is going. CI3 is the best definition of CodeIgniter framework as a whole.

I guess I don't understand what everyone has against namespaces?  In fact, I am surprised to see complaints against CI4 due to namespaces.  I can't imagine using php (or any proper language) without them.  The old "poor man's" namspacing before 5.3 was an Ugly_Kludge.   I'm not one to jump on the trendy bandwagon either, but gee wiz, time to move on guys...

People don’t like change. It was one of the reasons CodeIgniter 3 was wildly popular (it was a near-seamless transition from 2) and why the outside community ridiculed it (it lacked many new features from PHP). I imagine many won’t transition to 4 out of loyalty, familiarity, or fear of the workload in converting old projects... but this is a very necessary step to stay alive in our modern web development world.

(12-07-2019, 05:08 AM)MGatner Wrote: People don’t like change. It was one of the reasons CodeIgniter 3 was wildly popular (it was a near-seamless transition from 2) and why the outside community ridiculed it (it lacked many new features from PHP). I imagine many won’t transition to 4 out of loyalty, familiarity, or fear of the workload in converting old projects... but this is a very necessary step to stay alive in our modern web development world.
The way i figure it i don't have much choice but to go for CI4.

My old micro framework is not being maintained; i currently have 4 websites using it with php at 5.4. Sooner or later we are all going to have to use php 7+.

I looked at alternatives(i'm on slackware Linux) I don't understand that on some other  frameworks I have to go to the hassle of installing vagrant, virtual box etc ( I hope CodeIniter never goes down that road )

There doesn't seem much point in playing with CI3

My thinking is I don't have to switch yet, but if i play with CI4 now by the time I have to make the switch I will be ready!

@captain-sensible,
I agree about making availability of CodeIgniter's downloads and installs as simple as possible.

Unfortunately CodeIgniter4 requires a couple of essential settings to prevent the initial and unhelpful failed screen. I would prefer a successful splash screen regardless of settings. Hopefully this would encourage new users to investigate new features.

I used to use the zip option but now find the "git clone (dowload link)" far easier, just delete the previous version, install the latest tweak a couple of settings before ensuring the steps were successful.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 10:23 AM by eggbert.)

(12-09-2019, 07:18 AM)captain-sensible Wrote:
(12-07-2019, 05:08 AM)MGatner Wrote: People don’t like change. It was one of the reasons CodeIgniter 3 was wildly popular (it was a near-seamless transition from 2) and why the outside community ridiculed it (it lacked many new features from PHP). I imagine many won’t transition to 4 out of loyalty, familiarity, or fear of the workload in converting old projects... but this is a very necessary step to stay alive in our modern web development world.
The way i figure it i don't have much choice but to go for CI4.

My old micro framework is not being maintained; i currently have 4 websites using it with php at 5.4. Sooner or later we are all going to have to use php 7+.

I looked at alternatives(i'm on slackware Linux) I don't understand that on some other  frameworks I have to go to the hassle of installing vagrant, virtual box etc ( I hope CodeIniter never goes down that road )

There doesn't seem much point in playing with CI3

My thinking is I don't have to switch yet, but if i play with CI4 now by the time I have to make the switch I will be ready!

Wow, slackware! Now there's an old timer's distro Smile

I'm sort of in the  same boat.  Soon I will be modernizing a fairly large legacy php app so I'm taking a fresh look at what's available nowadays. I'm coming into CI with no preconceived notions as I've only played around with it many many years ago. There's no way I'd even bother considering CI 3 due to its lack of modern features. It's a dead end.

What I like about CI is that it doesn't force it's self on you like many frameworks do nowadays.  Whenever I try to get into the big modern frameworks like Laravel, I feel like it beats me over the head with all the tooling and conventions.  I spend way too much time trying to get into their "mindset" than I do actually getting things done.  This is probably a failing on my part, but oh well... I've learned over the years what works well for me. I actually do use vagrant, docker, composer, gulp, etc, but use them in a workflow that works best for what I do. 

The other pet peeve I have with the big players like Laravel is documentation seems to be getting poorer. I'm finding I am forced to watch videos to learn pick up the concepts. I can't stand this. I'm able to absorb information more quickly with written documentation than sitting through some video.

(This post was last modified: 12-09-2019, 11:10 AM by captain-sensible.)

(12-09-2019, 07:49 AM)John_Betong Wrote: @captain-sensible,
I agree about making availability of CodeIgniter's downloads and installs as simple as possible.

Unfortunately CodeIgniter4 requires a couple of essential settings to prevent the initial and unhelpful failed screen. I would prefer a successful splash screen regardless of settings. Hopefully this would encourage new users to investigate new features.

I used to use the zip option but now find the "git clone (dowload link)" far easier, just delete the previous version, install the latest tweak a couple of settings before ensuring the steps were successful.
i've got CI4 working on Slackware its in a sub folder of /var/www/htdocs of apache ; i'm using virtual hosts so that I can point the web root to public and see landing page of CI at 127.0.0.2 ( my set up)

Now i have set up on my system composer and have used it with another framework. I find it can get quite confusing with composer in that it seems you can get  download within a download .

with another framework  at webroot , framework was all within vendor and with an index.php also at same level of document route i got it to work by putting :
require_once('vendor/autoload.php');
// inside index.php

with codeigniter i tried downloading composer and it just seemed messy and couldn't make sense of it.

i did get it working just downloading zip

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB