Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
How do we get CodeIgniter back to the PHP framework of choice?

[eluser]jonez[/eluser]
Quote:How do we get Codeigniter to being the best PHP framework available?
That's a bit of a loaded question. There is no such thing as the "best" framework, only the most suited for a specific task. CI is great for certain tasks, Laravel is better for others, and a new framework will come out tomorrow that's better at something else.

Quote:1. License - MIT.
MIT would be nice, but it's not necessary. It's very easy to overload the core in 3. If you are directly editing core files you should be sharing your changes with the community. Open Source only works when both sides are willing to help each other. That's not directed at you ivantcholakov I know you've sent PR's, just my opinion on the license.

Quote:The real appeal to CI has always been the ease of use. Beginner or intermediate level PHP developers can benefit from “shortcuts” and functionality that handles day to day tasks, eliminating the need to re-invent the wheel. That’s about where the benefits of using CI stop.
I disagree, it depends on your project's needs.

If you are an agency or self employed CI may not be the best framework going forward. When your job is to whip out sites you want namespaces and dependency management to reduce your workload. If you work for a product company it's a very different story. Here you're writing all the business logic yourself and probably don't need namespaces.

For me CI is a rest server, it's minimalistic design and execution speed are two important factors on why I use it. In my case there is nothing Laravel or any other PHP framework offer that would improve our app. Why rewrite just because? If I was going to do that I'd use Node, not another PHP framework.

Every developer should make an informed decision based on their needs and not worry about what others are doing. CI is still a great framework and 3 is a great update.

Messages In This Thread
How do we get CodeIgniter back to the PHP framework of choice? - by El Forum - 06-28-2014, 05:33 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB