Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
GPL Legal Question

[eluser]sjmiller85[/eluser]
[quote author="Michael Wales" date="1191892460"]I have seen (and used) many applications though whose licenses were insanely restrictive. When it comes to those instances, sorry - but I don't care what your license says. In the same way as I will use Photoshop, and not pay $800 for it, I'm going to ultimately use a piece of released software in the way I deem it should be used.[/quote]

I fail to see how this relates? Naming a (so-called ridiculous) price-tag of $800 dollars is different from taking someone's work, removing all credit to the owner, and re-releasing this under your name. It hardly even relates to the owner choosing a license to release the product under (other than the price that goes along with the license). What I get from this is that you are condoning illegal appropriation of work that others work hard to produce. If this is the case, I would recommend withholding such comments from the public eye, especially while waving the CI flag as a forum moderator and avid fan of the product.

I myself find that I am not a big fan of flashy, wavy, distracting credit links at the bottom of others work, but I certainly cannot bring myself to remove them entirely. If a product like BambooInvoice has a link that it sends out in its product (as well am I not certain), it will remain. That isn't to say that I might not tweak it if I find it overly distracting or deterring from the use of the product (applying the display: none property, reducing font-size, changing font-color, etc...), but I would rather dodge whatever ramifications come from removing it. It would leave a bad stain to my name should it come around to haunt me. Besides, in all honesty, if I need a product for professional business use, I will most likely create my own product, or talk with the creator (it's amazing how easy communication is with GPL developers and their products) to see what is permissible with their work. Otherwise, who really cares if there is a size: 8 link at the bottom of the product, the common majority won't even pay it any attention.

Just my 2 cents worth.

EDIT: Whoops, my apologies, just realized this post was bumped from WAAAY back...

Messages In This Thread
GPL Legal Question - by El Forum - 10-07-2007, 03:54 PM
GPL Legal Question - by El Forum - 10-07-2007, 04:45 PM
GPL Legal Question - by El Forum - 10-07-2007, 05:00 PM
GPL Legal Question - by El Forum - 10-07-2007, 08:52 PM
GPL Legal Question - by El Forum - 10-08-2007, 01:16 AM
GPL Legal Question - by El Forum - 10-08-2007, 02:43 AM
GPL Legal Question - by El Forum - 10-08-2007, 05:41 AM
GPL Legal Question - by El Forum - 10-08-2007, 06:13 AM
GPL Legal Question - by El Forum - 10-08-2007, 02:14 PM
GPL Legal Question - by El Forum - 10-08-2007, 04:41 PM
GPL Legal Question - by El Forum - 03-28-2009, 08:10 PM