Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
ClassFormerlyKnownAsTemplateParser

Compared to the template engines available, I think that the CI3 TemplateParser is misnamed, as was the CI2 ActiveRecord (which became QueryBuilder in CI3). The TemplateParser has been both slammed and praised, by those who see no need for it and those who find its simplicitity handy, respectively.

For the record, I fall into the latter camp. I use the TemplateParser all the time, specifically to remove any PHP from views. It is my opinion that views are better left to web designers/developers, who may not have conventional programming skills, but who are proficient in HTML+CSS and often javascript. Not everyone will share this opnion, and that is fine.

However, I am migrating the CodeIgniter website to CI4, as my proof-of-concept/testbed app, so I will be implementing equivalent functionality. It won't be called TemplateParser - that name is not appropriate. It isn't even the same "kind" of tool that the other template engines are, though  PyroCms's Lex is similar (and they call it a template parser, not a template engine, even though it is often grouped with and compared to the engines).

It makes sense to add a bit more to our tool, for instance some simple control structures, but what we have is *not* a template engine, and it should not detract from the community discussions about them Smile

What do you think?
James Parry
Project Lead

Messages In This Thread
ClassFormerlyKnownAsTemplateParser - by jlp - 07-20-2016, 12:09 AM
RE: ClassFormerlyKnownAsTemplateParser - by jlp - 07-20-2016, 01:01 AM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB