Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is there an Encryption class? What am I missing?

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2018, 03:00 PM by Leo.)

(09-27-2018, 02:48 PM)ignitedcms Wrote: My issue is if you're worried about a db manager viewing the sensitive data in the database, surely if they're working on top level db access they would have access to the sources files and therefore the config files where a master encryption key is set.

Therefore wouldn't they be able to dump the salaries if they wanted? Well that's what I always thought, hence why I still struggle to see real practical needs for encryption libs?

That is true, but I think encrypting sensitive data in a db is better then leaving it as is alltogether, and, me as the website developer - will at least have the option of removing the key and giving it to the person in charge of the website and leaving all the data secured, just in case if they ask. Or they hire more people to manage the website and they don't want them to see the data. What if they want to regularly back up the db and store it in external storage. etc. You know...be prepared for whatever Smile
You can see things I made with codeigniter here: itart.pro its not overly impressive as I have very little time to learn.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is there an Encryption class? What am I missing? - by Leo - 09-27-2018, 02:59 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB