Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 2.2.5 Released

Honestly, in reporting the need to upgrade from CI2 to CI3 to my supervisor, I focused on the end-of-life and lack of continued security updates as the primary reason for the upgrade. In most environments, security is enough of a priority to break through some of the mess of scheduling issues, but not usually all of them.

When presenting a plan for the upgrade, my first step was actually to add a "compatibility layer" to Bonfire to:
- make it easier to switch between CI2 and CI3 on the same site
- backport some CI3 functionality to CI2
- allow files to use either version's naming conventions (so I had time to change the names of all of the required files)

If there was anything else, I've forgotten at this point, as it has been several months.

Once I had completed that compatibility layer and started testing everything in CI3, I ended up having to add some compatibility functions to port CI2 functionality to CI3 for a couple of things I just wouldn't be able to update in a timely manner.

After that, I basically had a CI3-ready site which was running on CI2, waiting for management approval to switch. I had to do a little pushing (and there was one of those last-minute "Why are we doing this upgrade?" moments), but by putting a system in place which allowed us to implement most of the necessary changes without switching the CI version, and making the switch itself relatively simple, I eliminated most of the resistance in the process. Removal of the CI2 compatibility layer is actually a longer project which is still in-process, though after a couple of months I've managed to remove the biggest, highest-impact pieces.

Of course, it wasn't all smooth sailing, as a couple of things slipped past the tests (big surprise with the size of the site), but, so far, it seems to have worked out.

Messages In This Thread
CodeIgniter 2.2.5 Released - by jlp - 10-08-2015, 08:23 AM
RE: CodeIgniter 2.2.5 Released - by cartalot - 10-08-2015, 01:01 PM
RE: CodeIgniter 2.2.5 Released - by Narf - 10-08-2015, 03:18 PM
RE: CodeIgniter 2.2.5 Released - by cartalot - 10-11-2015, 03:23 PM
RE: CodeIgniter 2.2.5 Released - by ciadmin - 10-11-2015, 03:56 PM
RE: CodeIgniter 2.2.5 Released - by mwhitney - 10-12-2015, 08:10 AM
RE: CodeIgniter 2.2.5 Released - by ivantcholakov - 10-13-2015, 06:57 PM
RE: CodeIgniter 2.2.5 Released - by cartalot - 10-18-2015, 07:22 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB