Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
LTS - CI 3 -- how long will it be supported/maintained ?

(06-19-2018, 01:51 PM)rangka.kacang Wrote: From what I can tell, CI4 is definitely going the Laravel way, the dotenv, the composer, the new routing, and so on, nothing is original anymore.

Composer is optional, just available for anyone that wants to use it, you can still just download very small ZIP file and go!

Dotenv only moves some text from one file to another. It won't affect smaller sites, but bigger applications that might want to fire up temporary test servers, it's much better solution than having to write temporary server config to a case statement in a PHP file. Instead, you explicitly set these values for server at hand and code doesn't have to change. As a bonus, sys admins don't feel like they need to mess around with PHP script files.

Routing does change a little bit, but again, it feels like it keeps the basics, just adds additional options for people that would use it. Using class::method/attrib v class/method/attrib, it'll be a bit hard to loose the muscle memory, sure, but it does follow how PHP uses methods so you could say it simplifies things.

All the loading classes and what not seems to be mostly same, just slightly different (more "modern", whatever that's worth) way of doing it, some things are a bit shorter ( $this->load->view() v view() ).

Models have changed somewhat, but then, for some weird reason, it's very close to the extensions I've built to CI3 myself, so I really can't complain.

So, from what I've seen so far, it's still same easy to get going structure, so stay with us and I'm pretty certain eventual move from CI3 to CI4 will be relatively painless Cool

Messages In This Thread
RE: LTS - CI 3 -- how long will it be supported/maintained ? - by Pertti - 06-19-2018, 02:15 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB