Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best method for constructing HTTPS urls and requiring HTTPS requests?

Assuming one leaves base_url blank in the config file, what is best practice for constructing an HTTPS url from an HTTP one and vice-versa? I'm guessing it has something to do with sire_url.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that if base_url is left blank that there is no specification of the domain in the configuration.

mwhitney Wrote:Beyond that, you should configure your server to use HTTPS as needed, rather than trying to do something in CodeIgniter to handle HTTPS.
This suggestion seems a bit odd as CodeIgniter is the single app most likely to know which pages should be securely hosted and which should not. Seems odd to try and mess around with mod_rewrite or apache config or something...

mwhitney Wrote:I haven't run into any issues which have not been fixed with using HTTPS when the base_url configuration is empty, though I have some minor issues with edge-cases switching between HTTP and HTTPS which are unrelated to CodeIgniter itself (and recently I've been considering just forcing HTTPS for the whole site).
Could you elaborate? Just curious about what kind of tradeoffs I'm getting into.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Best method for constructing HTTPS urls and requiring HTTPS requests? - by sneakyimp - 01-15-2015, 02:13 PM

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB