Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Hey Now it is a time for CI Team to prepare and write a CI 4+ Tutorial Book

Many of the items on your TOC are covered in my book, CodeIgniter 4 Foundations.

Additionally, there are quite a few tutorials on YouTube or Udemy if you prefer video.

Quote:One of the ways I suggest is to first, switch this forum from mybb to CodeIgniter (with a better design). if we say that CodeIgniter is a great framework, then official products should be developed using the framework. We can implement something like laravel.io which contains forum, articles, etc and most importantly, serve ads, which will be used to sustain the framework.

While all of these things are great, they all take time and people willing to make them and maintain them. We welcome people who want to contribute in any fashion, from writing docs or articles, helping with code, or even building a new forum software built on it. Building a forum is something that we've discussed, but we've never had the man power to do it properly, including security features, moderator features, etc.

It is true that this MyBB has an outdated design or UI, hard to read code, and few features to deal with spammers/bots.

Perhaps it may be better to add a simpler forum to the official site.
It seems https://laravel.io/forum is much simpler, and
it requires a GitHub account to register: https://laravel.io/register

In fact, the biggest problem with the forums is that it is difficult to distinguish whether a post is by a real user or by a spammer or bot.

(08-22-2023, 09:08 PM)kilishan Wrote: While all of these things are great, they all take time and people willing to make them and maintain them. We welcome people who want to contribute in any fashion, from writing docs or articles, helping with code, or even building a new forum software built on it. Building a forum is something that we've discussed, but we've never had the man power to do it properly, including security features, moderator features, etc.

Can we start now? I believe that if we make this open or call for volunteers (here or via social media), we will get at least a good number to start with. If you still have access to the things that were discussed, that will also help, but if not, we can start drawing out some outlines.

Just like laravel.io, registration via github should be mandatory, IMO, as this will help reduce spam accounts and/or bots. We can apply more security as time goes on. 

Also, same way the new logo of CI was chosen, we can also get designers who are willing to help with the forum interface, then we can choose from one of them.

I just feel CI is not getting the attention it deserves, and the best way to do this is to show some products, starting with official products.

(08-22-2023, 09:27 PM)kenjis Wrote: It is true that this MyBB has an outdated design or UI, hard to read code, and few features to deal with spammers/bots.

Perhaps it may be better to add a simpler forum to the official site.
It seems https://laravel.io/forum is much simpler, and
it requires a GitHub account to register: https://laravel.io/register

In fact, the biggest problem with the forums is that it is difficult to distinguish whether a post is by a real user or by a spammer or bot.

Great idea! Simplifying the forum and enhancing spam control can really improve the user experience. Websites like https://laravel.io/forum seem simpler, requiring a GitHub account for registration. Dealing with spam is a challenge for forums, and distinguishing between real users and bots is key. Moreover, the minimalist and intuitive interface of such platforms is very appealing

(08-22-2023, 10:22 PM)sammyskills Wrote:
(08-22-2023, 09:08 PM)kilishan Wrote: While all of these things are great, they all take time and people willing to make them and maintain them. We welcome people who want to contribute in any fashion, from writing docs or articles, helping with code, or even building a new forum software built on it. Building a forum is something that we've discussed, but we've never had the man power to do it properly, including security features, moderator features, etc.

Can we start now? I believe that if we make this open or call for volunteers (here or via social media), we will get at least a good number to start with. If you still have access to the things that were discussed, that will also help, but if not, we can start drawing out some outlines.

I can't speak on an official project at the current time.

Over the years I've started and stopped on some forums a few different times. The previous tries all were being too complex. Heck, in one I had even started putting together a light-weight ORM, not something to be done lightly lol. However, the last one I started on I tried to keep it as clean and simple and most like a default CI app as possible. I just pushed it up online if people want to check out its current state. If people like it as a jumping off point we can always start expanding on it from there. Not sure exactly how much free time I'll have to put towards it at the moment, but I'll attempt to keep up with comments, etc.

Thanks @kilishan.

I've been able to setup the forum example (Myth:Forums) locally, and yes, it is a great starting point. I just think that the design can be better, something very simple like that of laravel.io.

Can we get a designer (or designers) to come up with an interface, so we can choose from just like we did for the CI logo? What will this take?

Another problem in this forum is the lack of working moderators.
It seems only two moderators working now.
A lot of SPAMs are posted every day, and moderation queue are increasing again.

Awaiting Moderation
34  Threads
617   Posts

I think we should have only one forum, and we will be able to put tags to a thread.

In this site, there are too many forums, so users may post to somewhere not the right place.
And moving posts by moderators is a pain.

(08-25-2023, 06:37 PM)kenjis Wrote: I think we should have only one forum, and we will be able to put tags to a thread.

In this site, there are too many forums, so users may post to somewhere not the right place.

Exactly!

(08-25-2023, 06:37 PM)kenjis Wrote: I think we should have only one forum, and we will be able to put tags to a thread.

That's very similar to a personal project I had started in the past. No official forums, all of the organization happened via tags.That does require other things to make it usable though, like Rooms if you want to be able to make a "forum" restricted (like for admin discussion, etc), and a very good search engine. The challenge becomes finding stuff within the thousands of posts, so you still need to be able to browse the content in some form of organized fashion, but handling it like Flarum does where you can see a hierarchal list of tags and filter by the tags handles that pretty well.

If this is something we're seriously interested in doing, we should take the discussion off of this thread at the least. Maybe plan it over at the repo's discussions?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB