Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
custom validation rule(s)

I'm getting close to my setup working as I want but came across a problem this evening with the name of prospective club member.
When adding someone to the database (or updating their details) I have a set of validation rules like so...

PHP Code:
            'family_name'      => 'required|max_length[30]|alpha_numeric_space|min_length[3]'
However this person's name contained an apostrophe, think "Scarlett O'hara", well you get the idea.
A look at the documentation and I thought it was a decent enough reason to create a custom validation rule. So created a file "app/Config/ClubRules.php"
PHP Code:
<?php
namespace CodeIgniter\Config;

class 
ClubRules 
Then in Config\Validation.php added
PHP Code:
use CodeIgniter\Config\ClubRules

And updated the $ruleSets array with
PHP Code:
ClubRules::class, 

I.e., pretty much letter for letter as the documentation describes. However I get "Class 'CodeIgniter\Config\ClubRules' not found" which emanates from "CodeIgniter\Validation\Validation->loadRuleSets ()"

Not sure what I've done wrong Confused

(03-21-2024, 02:33 PM)bobw Wrote: I'm getting close to my setup working as I want but came across a problem this evening with the name of prospective club member.
When adding someone to the database (or updating their details) I have a set of validation rules like so...

PHP Code:
            'family_name'      => 'required|max_length[30]|alpha_numeric_space|min_length[3]'
However this person's name contained an apostrophe, think "Scarlett O'hara", well you get the idea.
A look at the documentation and I thought it was a decent enough reason to create a custom validation rule. So created a file "app/Config/ClubRules.php"
PHP Code:
<?php
namespace CodeIgniter\Config;

class 
ClubRules 
Then in Config\Validation.php added
PHP Code:
use CodeIgniter\Config\ClubRules

And updated the $ruleSets array with
PHP Code:

I.e., pretty much letter for letter as the documentation describes. However I get "Class 'CodeIgniter\Config\ClubRules' not found" which emanates from "CodeIgniter\Validation\Validation->loadRuleSets ()"

Not sure what I've done wrong Confused

Ok do you have an understanding of the PHP and CI namespace please
Codeigniter First, Codeigniter Then You!!
yekrinaDigitals

(This post was last modified: 03-22-2024, 01:55 AM by bobw.)

(03-21-2024, 11:42 PM)luckmoshy Wrote: Ok do you have an understanding of the PHP and CI namespace please

I'd say "somewhat" which is why I used the existing namespace rules as a guide. I suspect that the user guide at https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/l...stom-rules assumes you know what to do with regard to namespaces.

Thanks @luckmoshy, I was over specifying the namespaces. I just needed
PHP Code:
<?php
namespace Config;

class 
ClubRules

In my new class file and just update the $ruleSets array with:
PHP Code:

So I'd say that for clarity the user guide is missing that "namespace XXX;" line from its example.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB