Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What is the best IDE for development with CI

Hello experts,
I just started with CI. It seems to be a good framework for lean and clean coding without loss of control for own implementations. Thus far I had a look to Zend Studio, PHPstorm and Codelobster as IDE for and coding, but I am still not sure which one will give me the most efficient coding support.
What are your experiences what would you reccoment as a professional development environment for CI as IDEs for php, CI, CSS and html preview?

PhpStorm is best IDE for development. It's my opinion. You will have wonderful functionality out of the box.

Likewise I use PhpStorm 8.0.3 Best IDE but not free.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(03-02-2015, 04:55 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: Likewise I use PhpStorm 8.0.3 Best IDE but not free.
If I have to pay for a good tool, is not a constraint. I just want to make sure I pick the most efficient and usable one.

(This post was last modified: 03-02-2015, 12:24 PM by mwhitney.)

First, for HTML/CSS preview, install a local server on your development machine. It's very rare that an IDE can manage to give you an accurate preview, especially when you're dealing with MVC frameworks and potentially template libraries or other items which might make development easier but obscure the final result before PHP processes the code. This also allows you a better chance to see the real result in multiple browsers before exposing it to the real world.

Personally, I also prefer to develop on a multi-monitor system when possible, so I can keep my browser and code on separate screens and keep multiple code and browser windows open without making it difficult to view one or the other.

Rather than an IDE, I use SublimeText 3. I previously used Komodo IDE, but after a few weeks of trying SublimeText, I found it faster, more responsive, and at least as useful as (if not moreso than) most of the IDEs I've used over the years. It does take a little more effort to find and configure plugins/packages to add helpful features, but it seems to be much more likely that features I want are available for SublimeText than many IDEs.

Some plugins I've found helpful include Package Control (which makes finding/managing other plugins much easier), Phpcs (PHP CodeSniffer support), SublimeCodeIntel, XDebug Client, DockBlockr, and Alignment.

As @mwhitney I highly recommend setting up a local development server to preview you sites/builds.

I use Sublime Text 3 and recommend it. It is simple and fast at its core and as mentioned, it as tons of plugins that you can add to get the functionality you need.

Plugins that I use
  • Package manager (install first, later used to browse and install all other plugins)
  • DocBlockr
  • Alignment
  • GitGutter
  • SublimeCodeIntel
  • Autoprefix (CSS3: webkit-, moz- and so on)
  • SideBarEnhancements - Add a lot more functionally to the right click menu for the sidebar
  • SublimeLinter - Linter that have multiple add-ons for scss, php, phpmd, phpcs, json, coffee, annotations and more

And on top of that you have skins and color themes to get the design you want when coding.

PHP Storm is the IDE that I use on all projects - not free but as a professional it's my tool kit of choice. Full GIT intergration, Less, SASS, SSH, upload & download - all the tools I use every day in one box. :-)
Most things broken in our house was done by nobody, the rest was my fault anyway Huh

If paid/free is not an issue, then PHPStorm or Sublime Text seem to be everyone's favorite. Which to go with depends on whether you want a full featured IDE (PHPStorm) or a great editor that you can extend (Sublime Text).

Here's how to add Xdebug to Sublime Text.
http://www.sitepoint.com/debugging-xdebu...me-text-3/

I stay with Codelobster only because it's free and because the small amount of work I do can't justify the expense of a paid application. Smile
Hey, don't work without a PHP debugger. Several free IDEs have this features built in. Two are NetBeans and CodeLobster. Without a debugger, it's like you're driving with a blindfold on -- you are going to crash!

Since Aptana isn't actively developed any more I've switched to Titanium Studio: http://www.appcelerator.com/titanium/titanium-studio/

Based off Eclipse, built in Git support, and all the other goodies from Aptana.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB