Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best Hosting in US?

Hello,

Looking at Hostgator, but wanted to know what others are using.

I can not comment or recommend any shared hosting as I never use it. Leaving that to someone else.

But for VPS servers I would recommend Or if you need more enterprise level hosting

If you're looking for basic Linux hosting for under $10 a month, there's really no answer to your question. For every popular host out there, you'll hear stories from people who say they've had rock-solid performance and reliability all the way, and you'll hear stories from people who say their experience was a nightmare every day until they went to a different host.

Here are a couple of legitimate rating sites (many rating sites are just advertising fronts).
http://www.whtop.com/
http://www.webhostingstuff.com/

Unless you're hosting a mission-critical ecommerce site with heavy traffic, I'd suggest basically throwing a dart and going on a month-to-month basis (I would never pay a year in advance!). As long as the host works out, fine. If the host becomes unreliable or gives bad service, you can move to the next host.
Hey, don't work without a PHP debugger. Several free IDEs have this features built in. Two are NetBeans and CodeLobster. Without a debugger, it's like you're driving with a blindfold on -- you are going to crash!

HG is not really the best host out there but I find them attractive because of their prices. But don't expect too much on their support team though. If you know your way around things, this will work out quite fine. [Image: 1.gif]

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 12:01 PM by wolfgang1983.)

(03-02-2015, 06:20 AM)frocco Wrote: Hello,

I use http://www.arvixe.com/

It is cheap enough and works well with codeigniter.

I have only had one server down time but the fixed it straight away once being notified.
There's only one rule - please don't tell anyone to go and read the manual.  Sometimes the manual just SUCKS!

this site has been around for a long time and is worth looking at
http://webhostingtalk.com

depending on what type of hosting you are looking for, there are categories for hosting companies posting special deals
web hosting talk is also good for researching hosts you are interested in, 
you can do searches and find reviews. 

(This post was last modified: 09-29-2015, 02:12 PM by jLinux.)

(03-02-2015, 06:20 AM)frocco Wrote: Hello,

Depends what you want? if you want shared hosting, anything will do, but dont expect much, shared hosting usually sucks.. If you want to get serious, I would suggest getting something from SoftLayer, I ran an entire hosting company off of them for 3 years, GREAT service, great servers, great everything!

I was GOING to say that ThePlanet is 2nd in line for me after SoftLayer, and I couldnt find them on Google... then I realized, SoftLayer actually bought them out, lol.

(09-29-2015, 12:00 PM)riwakawd Wrote: I use http://www.arvixe.com/

It is cheap enough and works well with codeigniter.

I have only had one server down time but the fixed it straight away once being notified.
Woo, they restarted a service, what do you would think would happen if it was a real problem? Youd be screwed...

Arvixe sucks. My brother worked there for a while actually, as a support tech. The dude that owns it, Arvand I believe is his name, is a total tool to the employees. He treats them like shit, and hires anyone that he can underpay. When my brother was trying to working there, he told Arvand that I was a pretty good Linux Administrator at the time, and Arvand was trying to get him to recruit me for like half of what I was getting paid at the time.. lol.

As im tying this up, I asked my brother about it, and he just told me some more stuff I didnt know. When you apply at Arvixe, you have a "trial period" in which you work support tickets, and apparently you dont even get paid, and if you dont make the cut, then you just worked for free. Also, there isnt really any documentation, he told me that basically they gave him access, and told him to work on some tickets, thats how he learns. Which I agree that thats a good way to learn, but when you are hiring employees for as cheap as you can, they might not be smart enough to just "figure it out". He pays for "Button Pushers", not "Problem Solvers"

Also, I understand the reason for having to answer a ticket in queue and meet an SLA, but apparently at Arvixe, you have to have an answer to them within X minutes, or you're in big trouble, then after that first initial answer, it goes into a black hole. He showed me the ticket queue once and it was like.. thousands deep... Insane. You can also only spend a certain amount of time on a ticket/call, then you have to move onto the next one, meaning no ticket gets a decent amount of technical support.

That is why you pay for premium hosting, so you get REAL support, with REAL administrators who arent stressed out and pissed that they are stuck in a crappy job.

I personally use Digital Ocean .
Its VPS hosting starting with very cheap 5$ services and going up. With multiple options of Linux distributions. 
There are many Host locations so you can pick the one which fits your needs.
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

if you do some research there is nothing wrong with shared hosting. i could also tell horror stories (cough1and1cough) but i've also had shared hosting accounts for years with different hosts with very few issues or down time. the nice thing about shared hosting is everything is really ready to go, the platform is already proven, and there is free support if you have issues or questions. unless you are immediately serving thousands of concurrent users or your app is processor intensive like graphic editing, its fine to start with shared hosting, and then move to vps if required.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2015, 05:28 AM by sv3tli0.)

(10-02-2015, 04:52 PM)cartalot Wrote: if you do some research there is nothing wrong with shared hosting. i could also tell horror stories (cough1and1cough) but i've also had shared hosting accounts for years with different hosts with very few issues or down time. the nice thing about shared hosting is everything is really ready to go, the platform is already proven, and there is free support if you have issues or questions. unless you are immediately serving thousands of concurrent users or your app is processor intensive like graphic editing, its fine to start with shared hosting, and then move to vps if required.

Shared hosting has 1 big disadvantage. Your luck ... 
Its often that you have problems either with your "neighbours" or heavy loaded server or additional settings/tools that you have to ask support and some time you may not get it.

VPS's are a little bit harder for initial setup, but after that you are free to do what you want, all tools which are loaded or you add, any settings you may need and other things. 

My example with Digital ocean:
1 VPS for MYSQL (free local network to connect it 10.XXX.XXX.XXX)
1 VPS for Mails (on separate VPS for less load on my web server)
1 VPS for Web server (with all sites, no SQL)
* Full free DNS control.
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB