Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
I think Official devs may need to go thru alot of the core files.

[eluser]salfordscripteR[/eluser]
Im currently de-bloating CI removing anything i dnt need, as ive been going thru the core files ive noticed the dev's for some reason have used IF statements on nearly every 'include/require' there are a few other little tweaks ive done to shorten the code lenth too but cant think of the top of my head lol, no offence is intended in anyway shape or form just a suggestion as ive noticed alot of ppl askin about making it have a smaller footprint.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Quote:Im currently de-bloating CI
It is pretty lightweight as is. There are better ways to gain speed than trying to shave of another 0.001 ms by removing a line of code. Also I doubt it will help at all because APC will most likely negate any benefit you gain from your work. Besides any change you do to the core is going to be hell once you upgrade.

In other words, I would strongly discourage you from what you're doing now.

[quote author="n0xie" date="1310416248"]
Quote:Im currently de-bloating CI
It is pretty lightweight as is. There are better ways to gain speed than trying to shave of another 0.001 ms by removing a line of code. Also I doubt it will help at all because APC will most likely negate any benefit you gain from your work. Besides any change you do to the core is going to be hell once you upgrade.

In other words, I would strongly discourage you from what you're doing now.[/quote]

Just by using alternate methods and removing some of the IF statements ive have made a fair diffrence in render speed:
page render is now 0.0103 compared to ci original 0.0306

aside from that my personal reason for striping CI is not render speed i am intergrating it into another script but as i went thru the core file i noticed little things that could be improved. for the average coder/CI dev maby it wouldnt matter but if i can make that much diffrence just by minor tweak, imagine what diffrence the official devs could make if they went thru the code. lets face it they written it they know it better than me.
all im saying is that maby the core need a bit of a revamp.

[eluser]danmontgomery[/eluser]
Curious, I don't think I've seen anyone ask for CI to have a smaller footprint in almost 2 years here, and would be surprised to see it considering CI has a smaller footprint than almost all of the popular PHP MVC frameworks.

Maybe you can give details about the modifications you're making? You're not going to convince anyone to undertake a rewrite of the core with claims of a 2/100s speedup in your particular application by removing a few if statements. What number are you pulling, CI's benchmark? Are these one-time numbers? Have you considered other factors?

as i was sayin i was doing the edits for a diffrent project i havent kept track, but once i have finished my current project i would be happy to re go thru it logging any changes n posting it up here. if u think it would make a diffrence?
like i said in the first post, i dnt mean to cause no offence, I think CI is a great peice of work ive used it for a couple of years, and your right it has got a smaller footprint than most other frameworks but that doesnt mean it doesnt need improving.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Quote:page render is now 0.0103 compared to ci original 0.0306
I have no doubt about your capabilities of testing, but benchmarks are influenced by a lot of things, especially when working with such small timeframe. Did you try with APC on? I'm very curious what the difference would be (I expect it to be negligible but you never know)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB