Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI is best for shopping cart ?

Hi Team,

My company is interested to make own shopping cart framework based on CI , so my question is that Is Ci best for making shopping cart framework or not ? or CI 2.3.3 is best ?
Basically company has 10 shopping websites developed with core php but now wants to move in CI but not sure is this suitable for us or not ?
We found one library (gocart) which is stable i think but still not sure this will give benefit or not  .
Experts please give us a reasonable answer to start work on this.  

Thanking in advanced.

You can use every Framework you want for a shopping cart libary, even pure PHP. So it depends on your personal taste. Of course CI is a god choise for such a project. You know that CI provide also a simple shopping cart class http://www.codeigniter.com/userguide3/li.../cart.html ?

Another nice cart library you will find at http://haseydesign.com/flexi-cart/

And a more complex ecommerce system based on CI you will find at http://www.heroframework.com

So it's up to you and your welcome to CI ;o)

i think you can build shop cart with CI

(12-19-2014, 08:52 AM)oliversieu Wrote: i think you can build shop cart with CI

You can build anything with CI ! Tongue

I'm in the process of creating a new ecommerce solution, which will partially use CodeIgniter. I'm installing Wordpress and CodeIgniter side by side, and Wordpress will handle product display through a custom post type. CodeIgniter willl handle cart, checkout, and user accounts. I chose to use CodeIgniter because I have very little time to get this done. Things are coming along smoothly, and I'm hoping to be done with this within two weeks.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2015, 11:23 AM by Jamie. Edit Reason: Grammar of a two year old )

(12-11-2014, 07:49 AM)[email protected] Wrote: Hi Team,

My company is interested to make own shopping cart framework based on CI , so my question is that Is Ci best for making shopping cart framework or not ? or CI 2.3.3 is best ?
Basically company has 10 shopping websites developed with core php but now wants to move in CI but not sure is this suitable for us or not ?
We found one library (gocart) which is stable i think but still not sure this will give benefit or not  .
Experts please give us a reasonable answer to start work on this.  

Thanking in advanced.

You should consider your time scale, complexities and features that you require as to which route you should take. As includebeer stated, you can build anything with CI. Whilst you could develop your own eCommerce solution there are many solutions available to you that are built on the CI framework. However, if you have the time and need to develop something custom to your companies' needs then a custom solution may be more applicable.

Rufnex has already mentioned that CI has a built in shopping cart class (CI2|CI3) which is a great starting point. Whilst not trying to discourage you from building your own application this class simply deals with handling the cart. You would need to build on this to incorporate account management, billing, interfacing with payment gateways and any other features you require.

Having previously been in your shoes and looking at suitable solutions for several companies my advice is to make a list of requirements. Have a play around with the solutions Rufnex has mentioned looking at whether they meet your requirements before committing yourself to developing your own. It may be that you can expand on a solution that already exists, license permitting.

As to whether to use CI 2.3.3, I would personally develop on CI 3 as the framework has more offerings, during the time it would take you to assess other solutions and potentially start development it is likely CI 3 will have officially been launched by then.
Jamie Bond
Full time International Development undergraduate.
Part time website developer.

You can also take a look at http://www.opencart.com/
Not based on CodeIgniter, but it's open source and it has a lot of feature.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2015, 03:28 PM by Jamie.)

(01-04-2015, 12:57 PM)includebeer Wrote: You can also take a look at http://www.opencart.com/
Not based on CodeIgniter, but it's open source and it has a lot of feature.

I wasn't sure on the rules around linking to other platforms etc.

One open source platform I have used, not very lightweight but rather powerful mind was Magento and have dealt with multiple health and beauty companies using it. Crowd pleaser, but may be a little overkill depending on the company.
Jamie Bond
Full time International Development undergraduate.
Part time website developer.

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2015, 08:29 PM by no1youknowz.)

(01-03-2015, 01:25 AM)skunkbad Wrote: I'm in the process of creating a new ecommerce solution, which will partially use CodeIgniter. I'm installing Wordpress and CodeIgniter side by side, and Wordpress will handle product display through a custom post type. CodeIgniter willl handle cart, checkout, and user accounts. I chose to use CodeIgniter because I have very little time to get this done. Things are coming along smoothly, and I'm hoping to be done with this within two weeks.

I feel really bad for your client.  They don't realise the mess they are going to get.

Wordpress and Codeigniter.  Oh boy.

Do them a favour, code it all in Codeigniter.  At least when the Client can get someone who can do their project justice can attempt something better.

I've moved many clients off wordpress, clients who have done 6-7 figures with their own sites.

WP is just baddddd.   Cool

(01-04-2015, 08:29 PM)no1youknowz Wrote: I feel really bad for your client.  They don't realise the mess they are going to get.

Wordpress and Codeigniter.  Oh boy.

Do them a favour, code it all in Codeigniter.  At least when the Client can get someone who can do their project justice can attempt something better.

I've moved many clients off wordpress, clients who have done 6-7 figures with their own sites.

WP is just baddddd.   Cool

Wordpress isn't bad as a blog engine. But it's a blog engine. And honestly I like it better than Joomla or Dupal for a blog engine for non coder end users. I agree though I would write the whole thing in CI. If your going to use WP as the store front I would say to use woo commerce or one of the other cart plugins for wordpress, might as well stick in the same framework and it would take less time to modify woo to your needs than to build a whole new cart system and tie it to WP.

Just my opinion,
Geiger

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB