Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Good Website Design Tips

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Good Website Design Tips

First impressions last

First impressions last. Did you ever hear this English proverb? If you didn’t then it is time that you pay attention. A group of researchers at Carleton University in Ontario came to a very shocking yet interesting finding and that is the majority of internet users take less than a second to decide whether they like a website or not!
In a blink of an eye

Scientific research proved that it takes a blink of an eye for a website visitor to assess a website’s visual appeal. Before taking time to read the content, a process called aesthetic appeal: dealing with beauty and taste is triggered by the subconscious to prompt the brain to judge whether the website looks initially good or not. If yes, the user will continue checking the website, if no, the back button is always there to click.

There you go. You have less than a second to lure your website visitor into staying, checking out your website and reading your message and content. I would argue that this first impression is very much the last impression but I think you already figured that out. So what are you going to do about it?

Now that I have your attention, you must be thinking “This is a lost fight. I might as well give it up!” wait, you don’t have to do that.

What do users “scan” in this one second?

A typical user will check your website design visuals: the layout, the color scheme, the font, the buttons, distribution of content and images in that split of a second. Not necessarily in that same order but these are some of the elements that affect his / her decision to stay longer or leave.

Time to remember what you are here for

Last time I checked it was “to attract, communicate, interact” with your website visitors “to convert” them into users.

Nothing has changed since then except that now we know that there’s a time element to consider: a window that is open only for One second to attract your viewers.

Stretching that One second and making it count

Others are doing it, so why can’t you? Yes, as hard as it may seem it is doable. It just takes a considerable amount of work from your side to stretch that One second to make it count and invoke favorable effect on your viewers. Now, it is about time we discuss website design primary aspects.

Aspects of web site design

Visibility

Content

Appearance

Usability

Since we have covered visibility (ref. SEO, and writing SEO friendly article) and content in earlier posts, it is time we discuss appearance and usability.

Appearance

Consistency

Use a single style throughout your website. If you are making a business website then I suggest your website design style to be simple, professional, and relevant to the theme of your content.

Colors

Use colors to “attract” your viewers and prepare their subconscious for what you have to “communicate”. If you use color wheel you will be able to create color combinations that match well. Research suggests that colors have psychological impact on its viewers, use your colors wisely. Allow me to share a psychological interpretation of what the colors invoke in your viewers:

Source: Wikipedia, Color psychology

Fonts

Use fonts that are easy to read, and eye relaxing. Choose wisely some fonts when capitalized cause a mess.

Paragraphs, highlight and bulleted text

Use short paragraphs instead of long ones. Use section headers, highlighted words and bullet lists to make your page more Scannable. As a rule of the thumb, do only what is necessary to make your text stand out.

Usability

Your website should be user-friendly, minimize the time an average user needs to understand how your website works. A simple layout will do the trick provided that you offer clear instructions and the right labeling. Your viewers must understand how they can interact on your website to become users.

Navigation

For that to happen, first you need to help your users navigate smoothly across your website to become familiar with its content. Help them find their way by highlighting where they are – in the navigation bar – so that they think of where they should go next. Place your navigation bar across the top of each of your website pages and make sure to make clear - as opposed to vague - labeling for the navigation buttons. Some users will really appreciate if you included simple navigation buttons in the footer of the page.

Search Box

A search box that offers search by keyword is always valued by most users: it saves time and effort.

Headlines

Use headlines to quickly and briefly “attract” viewers’ attentions to your content. Use headlines to “communicate” solutions to their problems. Headlines that directly address the viewers’ needs will most likely encourage them to stay and find out how they can obtain them.

Animation and Media

Avoid the use of animation: people get irritated for having to wait until it loads, and some search engines find difficulties in reading them.

Use media to support your informative content i.e. showcase your product, and its value. It is better that you leave nothing to imagination make sure your website users understand what is your product or service and how it works.

Contact Information

Remember that a website isn’t just about looks. The reason you are going through all these efforts is to sell a product or to provide a service. Make sure that your viewers are able to find you. Make sure your contact us area and accessible from all pages.

In a Nutshell

"Stretching that One Second requires that you keep simple, attractive and professional website that doesn’t take forever to load which offers good and informative content in an organized and relaxing environment that answers your viewers’ needs and helps them to evolve into customers"

[eluser]Harold Villacorte[/eluser]
I particularly like web apps that make use of a front end framework like Zurb Foundation and take full advantage of everything it has to offer.

[eluser]mackblack[/eluser]
I liked the latest platform NetroCMS for website design,as it has provided the scope for adaptive and easy responsive mobile design. This has helped my website with the latest marketing trends.
The other key factors of a good website are:
Easy, understandable and browser oriented content.
Simple looking graphics with not much animations.
Easy navigation.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Thanks for sharing these tips about the website designing.I am web designer and I personally prefer using HTML5 and CSS3 to design responsive websites.It is easy to start with the HTML basic for creating website.More information is available at http://www.southflorida-webdesign.com .

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Excellent tips. I'm sure they will help me as I build my new sites!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB