Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
ORM[suggestion]
Wink 

with the growth of frameworks everyone has an easy integration with some ORM as the doctrine , it would be interesting if the CI had also the same facility or even already had an integrated ORM it

(12-22-2014, 10:37 AM)ale-php Wrote: with the growth of frameworks everyone has an easy integration with some ORM as the doctrine , it would be interesting if the CI had also the same facility or even already had an integrated ORM it

Doubt it'll happen and it doesn't need to. It literally takes less than 30 lines of code to integrate other orms into codeigniter.

actually we're always use datamapper for this case. quite easy to install. But anyway, native will be the best. Vote up to integrate ORM to CI3x
Follow us at https://twitter.com/LIBRETeamStudio to get a lot of new cool stuff

(12-22-2014, 10:37 AM)ale-php Wrote: with the growth of frameworks everyone has an easy integration with some ORM as the doctrine , it would be interesting if the CI had also the same facility or even already had an integrated ORM it
For me it's only useless thing. Integrate a same Data mapper like Doctrine or other one is easy and in most cases you can find CI with integrated ORM on github.
I don't like Doctrine because is too slow and need a lot of memory but I understand there are also the pros.

I think ORMs are good only for rapid development, but they add a lot of baggage that is not really needed on a production environment. It's only an opinion...

(12-23-2014, 04:43 AM)Avenirer Wrote: I think ORMs are good only for rapid development, but they add a lot of baggage that is not really needed on a production environment. It's only an opinion...

ORMs are great for a prototype but in a large application they quickly become your biggest bottleneck. Personally I wouldn't use an ORM at all your code will be a lot faster if you write your own queries.

(12-23-2014, 12:29 AM)libreteam_studio Wrote: actually we're always use datamapper for this case. quite easy to install. But anyway, native will be the best. Vote up to integrate ORM to CI3x

I vote a resounding Down on integrated ORM.  This is framework bloat that is not needed, given the abundant choices of easily installed ORM's available for CI.  Don't force the developer to use a default ORM.
CI 3.1 Kubuntu 19.04 Apache 5.x  Mysql 5.x PHP 5.x PHP 7.x
Remember: Obfuscation is a bad thing.
Clarity is desirable over Brevity every time.

Hi guys,
I agree with ale-php, use an ORM is very useful for basic CRUD operation. A lot of framework have their own ORM, I think CI (that I love and use) should have it too. Actually I'm using Gas orm, but It's old and not updated from years. Use an ORM doesn't exclude the possibility of use custom query using basic CI active record.

Takes like 30 lines of code to integrate Eloquent from Laravel into CI. Doctrine is pretty simple too.

Make use of ORM as optional.

Those who want it can have it switched on or they can make use of a plugin.

Don't make it default.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB