Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: CI4: Recommended packages site
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
yes
81.97%
50 81.97%
no
11.48%
7 11.48%
maybe
6.56%
4 6.56%
Total 61 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Recommended packages site?

The only thing i'm truly confident that is going to still be around in 5 years - is github.

I would suggest that codeigniter have a page on github that are links to solutions etc on github that are officially approved.
So when someone is asking for an auth library, etc etc etc - they can be directed to one place, and its a place that all of us can be fairly confident will be around for a while. The other advantage is that there are already zillions of people searching for solutions on github every day. So it would be good exposure for codeigniter to have a comprehensive set of solutions that can be found there.

This would NOT be a list of all possible codeigniter solutions, libraries, etc. The only solutions that would be on this github page - would be approved by the codeigniter council or some group that they designate. This could actually become a validation for developers who are approved and something to work towards for people developing solutions. It would also show that codeigniter is more then a framework and there is an active developer eco-system.

(06-10-2016, 10:38 AM)cartalot Wrote: The only thing i'm truly confident that is going to still be around in 5 years - is github.

I would suggest that codeigniter have a page on github that are links to solutions etc on github that are officially approved.
So when someone is asking for an auth library, etc etc etc - they can be directed to one place, and its a place that all of us can be fairly confident will be around for a while. The other advantage is that there are already zillions of people searching for solutions on github every day. So it would be good exposure for codeigniter to have a comprehensive set of solutions that can be found there.

This would NOT be a list of all possible codeigniter solutions, libraries, etc. The only solutions that would be on this github page - would be approved by the codeigniter council or some group that they designate. This could actually become a validation for developers who are approved and something to work towards for people developing solutions. It would also show that codeigniter is more then a framework and there is an active developer eco-system.

This "solution" word that you've used here is pretty vague ... care to explain what you mean with it?
Because, I can (and do by default) think of a few meanings for it that you shouldn't look for on GitHub.

On topic:

We don't need CI-only libraries, that only isolates us from the rest of the PHP community. And there are plenty of framework-agnostic libraries out there, quite a few of which are really popular and hence don't need to be on a "CodeIgniter-approved" list for them to be found.

(06-10-2016, 12:03 PM)Narf Wrote: This "solution" word that you've used here is pretty vague ... care to explain what you mean with it?

Read the thread. I used the word "solution" to encompass what everyone else was talking about in this thread - packages, libraries, helpers, etc. Github will be around for a while and almost all projects are already on there. Versus a separate website that is just for codeigniter "packages".

(06-10-2016, 02:49 PM)cartalot Wrote:
(06-10-2016, 12:03 PM)Narf Wrote: This "solution" word that you've used here is pretty vague ... care to explain what you mean with it?

Read the thread. I used the word "solution" to encompass what everyone else was talking about in this thread - packages, libraries, helpers, etc. Github will be around for a while and almost all projects are already on there. Versus a separate website that is just for codeigniter "packages".

I know what the thread is about - packages - it's in the title.
As I said, "solution" can mean a lot of things, hence my question.

CodeIgniter used to have a Wiki that was pretty nice to browse through, but it was filled with outdated code that needed to be weeded through to get to the useful stuff. Then there was some sort of Github wiki, which may still exist. I'd guess that's full of outdated stuff too. Who can maintain such a thing? The answer is nobody. It's an impossible task for even a small team of people, so over time it just becomes a big mess. I vote no.

For reference there is this page on github, its been posted on this forum before. Its the only thing i know of that is kept current, but i don't know what the quality is. So what i was suggesting was something like this - but actually reviewed by codeigniter council or a group they authorize.
https://github.com/codeigniter-id/awesome-codeigniter

@cartalot

I am against your idea the council or any group somehow associated with CodeIgniter brand to review and qualify other parties works. I think they should be neutral, this would be fair.

I agree that it would be good to have an easy way to find quality, stable packages to add to a CodeIgniter app.

I see several ways to achieve this:

1) use the existing wiki on our repo.
This wiki is out-dated, unreliable, spammed, and a mess.
I am inclined to drop the wiki altogether, unless the community steps up to maintain it. I put out a "help wanted" notice last year, and some work got done, but the problems remain.
I would not trust the wiki.

2) a third party site
There are a few, such as the github site referenced above. I haven't had a chance to check them out properly, but I see no indication of beta vs stable, CI version supported, endorsements by the community, etc. There are a *lot* of packages there I am not familiar with, and which have not been mentioned on the forum in the last year or so nor on the IRC channel.
This could be a good idea, and CI doesn't oppose it, but we cannot endorse it or give it our blessing or in any way make it official.

3) stuff on packagist
Suggested several times. There is nothing to stop any developer from making their packages available through composer. There is also no way to "vet" such packages ... a problem similar to both the previous solutions.

4) CI-maintained "official" packages.
This won't happen. We don't have the resources, as has been previously pointed out.

5) An "official" package list, on our website.
This is a possibility, and I had a UCOSP team do some preliminary work on it in the fall of 2015.
We even have a feature branch on the website repo ... https://github.com/bcit-ci/codeigniter-w...ure/addons
No comments, issues or PRs since the fall ... hmmm. Maybe it isn't the right approach either.

The problem that I see with any solution that asks for CI's blessing is vetting the packages, and categorizing them properly.
I don't want to see such a tool, whatever form it takes, getting spammed or being used as an advertising vehicle, etc, etc.

By the way, the only one of the above strategies that comes close to being official in any capacity, is #5, where we vet or have someone vet on our behalf proposed entries. I think I have a way to manage that, without it costing a huge time commitment, other than the initial development and proofing. It is not high on the priority list at the moment, and probably won't be until CI4 gets further along, our forum software software gets updated to a more secure tool, and we get more of a core team for developing and managing our project.

A huge thank you to Narf for keeping CI3 strong and secure, Lonnie for kickstarting CI4, and all of the community for continuing to care!
James Parry
Project Lead

(06-10-2016, 06:20 PM)ivantcholakov Wrote: @cartalot

I am against your idea the council or any group somehow associated with CodeIgniter brand to review and qualify other parties works. I think they should be neutral, this would be fair.

I have in mind (however vague it might be) a way for the *community* to review and assess the quality of third party packages.
The council/project does need to be neutral - I totally agree. I also want to prevent spam-votes from the community too (there are a few of those on the forum, though hopefully not too many).

If a low maintenance, tamper-proof, spam-proof, non-biased & easy to use process and data structure can be built, that stands a good chance of succeding.
James Parry
Project Lead

(06-10-2016, 06:06 PM)cartalot Wrote: For reference there is this page on github, its been posted on this forum before. Its the only thing i know of that is kept current, but i don't know what the quality is. So what i was suggesting was something like this - but actually reviewed by codeigniter council or a group they authorize.
https://github.com/codeigniter-id/awesome-codeigniter

My opinion: The https://github.com/codeigniter-id/awesome-codeigniter is bad. The site need to be reviewed.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB