Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Say No to Composer!

Greetings,

I suppose this might be a good example of where there are different visions of how to accomplish something. Maybe it will just take time to see how the whole "Composer era" plays out.

In the meantime, I'd be curious to know if the plan is for CodeIgniter 4 to be installed like Laravel, where you really MUST use Composer.

Thanks,
Matthew

(06-12-2015, 05:28 AM)MatthewSchenker Wrote: In the meantime, I'd be curious to know if the plan is for CodeIgniter 4 to be installed like Laravel, where you really MUST use Composer.

The current plans, while not finalized, are to have Composer be available, and possibly central to how CI works, but not make it so that it must be installed via Composer, or even pull down many (if any) outside dependencies.

Details are still being worked out so we can't get you more specifics at the moment.

Greetings,

Kilishan: that's good to hear! Sounds like a nice compomise. I'll keep up on developments as we move closer to version 4.

Thanks,
Matthew

Greetings all,

Corrrect me if i'm wrong, Just like to know if Composer affects the speed of the framework since it auto-loads libraries that you may not use frequently in your website and maybe this is why Codeigniter is faster than other frameworks since it does not auto-loads unnecessary libraries. If thats the case, maybe we should always take into consideration the speed advantage of the framework to others when doing this upgrades. BTW, I am using composer with laravel and yii2 its a great tool.

(06-15-2015, 05:06 AM)apsweb Wrote: Greetings all,

Corrrect me if i'm wrong, Just like to know if Composer affects the speed of the framework since it auto-loads libraries that you may not use frequently in your website and maybe this is why Codeigniter is faster than other frameworks since it does not auto-loads unnecessary libraries. If thats the case, maybe we should always take into consideration the speed advantage of the framework to others when doing this upgrades. BTW, I am using composer with laravel and yii2 its a great tool.

Composer will only autoload libraries when you request them. CodeIgniter already has a simple autoloader in it, but for CI-only stuff, like the libraries, models, etc. Depending on how it's used, I've found that Composer can be every bit as fast as CI and frequently faster. So no worries here from a performance stand-point. The performance is usually hindered by other design decisions taken by the different frameworks.

well for me i have never been a fan of Composer, that is until recently when i start a test project for playing around with it and i must say it is handy. There are some really good composer packages. The fact that Composer is optional in CI is great. You are not forced to use it.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage, M5 Inc.

(06-15-2015, 06:43 AM)kilishan Wrote:
(06-15-2015, 05:06 AM)apsweb Wrote: Greetings all,

Composer will only autoload libraries when you request them. CodeIgniter already has a simple autoloader in it, but for CI-only stuff, like the libraries, models, etc. Depending on how it's used, I've found that Composer can be every bit as fast as CI and frequently faster. So no worries here from a performance stand-point. The performance is usually hindered by other design decisions taken by the different frameworks.

ok great to hear that, im really looking forward to this new upgrade decisions for Codeigniter 4. Although I am using other frameworks in the meantime, I still love the simplicity of Codeigniter for mid to large scale projects and will always be a Codeigniter fan. Hopefully codeigniter can also integrate simple and scalable authentications and its nice to have crud generators and built in hmvc that can also work with mvc side by side, just my opinion BTW. Again more power and kudos to Codeigniter!  

composer is a disaster that i specifically stay away from. oh god the dependencies. F@CK composer

(06-05-2019, 01:38 PM)angrymongol Wrote: composer is a disaster that i specifically stay away from. oh god the dependencies. F@CK composer

Why is it a disaster?

So what's your alternative? Manage all the packages by hand?
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB