Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Modify Application without changing files

Hey guys,

Just started using Code Igniter. Awesome PHP Framework!

I have purchased an Code Igniter Application from the Envato Marketplace.

Currently making most of my changes in the APPLICATION and RESOURCE folders

Problem is, when the developer releases an update, it over writes over all my custom modifications. Sad

Is there a 3rd party extension or app for Code Igniter which allows you to Code over the top or should I say override the source code without changing the original file.

For example Opencart use VQMOD and OCMOD

Any guidance would be much appreciated. Shy

Hi,
try to disable auto-update (what's the name of your application ?), or if it a well coded application, there should be a way to customize it without any update erase.
NexoPOS 2.6.2 available on CodeCanyon.

This really just depends on how the application is written, but you can usually extend the provided classes in separate files if you want to avoid having your changes overwritten.

Honestly, I usually pull updates into a separate location and use a diff tool to merge changes into my application, so I at least have an idea of which files changed in the update. Bonfire is very good at keeping its code separate from application code (and does manage to keep most of the CodeIgniter code separate from itself), but I still don't let anything into my application without checking it very carefully.

(07-17-2015, 10:55 AM)mwhitney Wrote: This really just depends on how the application is written, but you can usually extend the provided classes in separate files if you want to avoid having your changes overwritten.

Honestly, I usually pull updates into a separate location and use a diff tool to merge changes into my application, so I at least have an idea of which files changed in the update. Bonfire is very good at keeping its code separate from application code (and does manage to keep most of the CodeIgniter code separate from itself), but I still don't let anything into my application without checking it very carefully.

Hi Mwhitney,

The application is called "Freelance Office"

I discovered Winmerge the other day which helps identify coding changes really easily. You can only look at files one by one though.  Undecided

Could not find anything on Bonfire via google  Confused until I put in "bonfire codeigniter"

Will need to do a little more research, thank you for your suggestions

I too have a similar issue, it would be great function if CI has features like OCMOD/VQMOD, this will help developers to develop modules without touching or editing core file, Thhe XML will search for the class in the given path and adds our code.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB