• 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
CodeIgniter 4 Proposed Roadmap

#11
We are waiting ... wish you all the best, thx a lot !
I quickly understood but it takes a long time to explain to me Wink Idea
Reply

#12
It is a feasible, realistic plan. I wish to kilishan and Narf success on it.
Reply

#13
(08-05-2015, 09:33 AM)kilishan Wrote: We are targetting PHP 7 since, at the anticipated release date, 5.6 will be in security maintenance mode and only have a few months until it becomes completely unsupported. Releasing with a target version that is almost dead would keep CI held back once more. We know this will not be a valid move to upgrade all apps to PHP 7 because of the variety of hosting situations, so the 3.x branch will be maintained for a while - much longer than the EOL window for the 2.x branch after the 3.x release.

Sooner or later we will have to break backwards compatibility and there's no better reason than the transition from PHP 5.x to PHP 7. IMHO it's perfectly ok to break backward compatibility, maybe even more often than once every decade, as long as there will be security updates for the old version. There will be many applications built on CI that no longer gets new features but that are still being maintained for a long time. Of course there can be no guarantee but knowing that there is a long term plan for security updates would be a good selling point for CI.
Reply

#14
Great news.

Do you guys have any idea on how the upgrade path will work from the 3.x branch? I imagine with the massive changes coming, it will be more than just replacing the system directory.
Reply

#15
When you plan to make public the new builds ?
After there is full Alpha version of CI 4 or earlier?

I believe that many people are ready to contribute to it.
But that will be possible only when there are public builds.

I personally think that public builds (trunks - even before first alpha) of the new code will help it to become better.
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean
Reply

#16
(08-14-2015, 01:18 PM)albertleao Wrote: Great news.

Do you guys have any idea on how the upgrade path will work from the 3.x branch? I imagine with the massive changes coming, it will be more than just replacing the system directory.

That is unclear at the moment. It is likely that the changes will be big enough that a smooth upgrade path is unlikely. However, some of the users here on the forums have brought up the idea of a compatibility layer, so it's always possible that something will happen along those lines, unofficially, but I can't really say. At this moment, the priority is getting it actually built and, in this one particular version, backwards compatibility is not a priority. Making the best new version of CodeIgniter is. Of course, this issue will be in our minds as we develop, but as has been mentioned by others here, there comes a time when you need to do a BC-breaking version. For us, that is now. Then we can have a smooth ride for a long time after this.

(08-16-2015, 12:11 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: When you plan to make public the new builds ?
After there is full Alpha version of CI 4 or earlier?

I believe that many people are ready to contribute to it.
But that will be possible only when there are public builds.

I personally think that public builds (trunks - even before first alpha) of the new code will help it to become better.

Yes, code will be out and visible prior to an alpha. We were discussing this issue last week, actually, and are still working out the best way/time to do this. While we welcome community help, we feel that we must get to a certain point in that development where things have crystallized enough in our minds, and in the code, to know how core pieces work together. Otherwise we will likely see many "issues" posted that are simply due to a portion of the code being incomplete, or in flux as we test different implementations, etc.

We are glad you're excited and want to help out, and will welcome that - after we get a little bit of progress done. We haven't started coding yet, so give us a chance to get organized. Smile
Practical CodeIgniter 3  • CodeIgniter 4 Foundations - Coming Soon • Vulcan - CLI Tools for CI4
Reply

#17
(08-16-2015, 08:30 PM)kilishan Wrote: Yes, code will be out and visible prior to an alpha. We were discussing this issue last week, actually, and are still working out the best way/time to do this. While we welcome community help, we feel that we must get to a certain point in that development where things have crystallized enough in our minds, and in the code, to know how core pieces work together. Otherwise we will likely see many "issues" posted that are simply due to a portion of the code being incomplete, or in flux as we test different implementations, etc.

I think the same way so I wish you good luck Wink
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean
Reply

#18
(08-16-2015, 08:30 PM)kilishan Wrote: We are glad you're excited and want to help out, and will welcome that - after we get a little bit of progress done. We haven't started coding yet, so give us a chance to get organized. Smile

Just keep us informed on your progress so we can cheer you on. Smile

If you're starting a new separate repository for CI4 you could start it without issue reporting or keep the issue reporting to a very tight group of developers and just let the rest of us watch you work. It would be enlightening and educational.
Reply

#19
Wink 
That's amazing guys!

This is CodeIgniter targeting the future and going forward with it! I can't wait to see what it's coming with CI4!
Reply

#20
Can't wait for all of the "when's CI4 going to be released" threads lol
Reply


Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)


  Theme © 2014 iAndrew  
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2017 MyBB Group.