Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 4 Proposed Roadmap

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2015, 07:34 PM by ciadmin.)

Hello, thanks for the great work : the Codeigniter!!!!

Best regards.

Hello! This is excellent news. The framework has started to develop. Good luck to the team of developers.

I think one thing to make the CI4 best is to focus on a 'frameworkless' approach. I would love to see CodeIgniter lead the way in making the core of the framework more swappable than anything else out there. Set some core interfaces but then allow others to develop their own routers/ template engines etc if they choose to. This way CodeIgniter can move forward with a modular approach and over time if need be let go of supporting various parts. The swaps should be as simple as switching the packages in Composer. I also think it should push forward on the idea of a service structure. The separation of business logic from the controllers and models into a services layer. This would promote better long term support for projects written in the CI4+ It would also be AMAZING to introduce a CLI layer that provides basic CRUD builders etc, and PHPUnit (or any library) testing integration

(10-26-2015, 11:41 AM)mlantz Wrote: I think one thing to make the CI4 best is to focus on a 'frameworkless' approach. I would love to see CodeIgniter lead the way in making the core of the framework more swappable than anything else out there. Set some core interfaces but then allow others to develop their own routers/ template engines etc if they choose to. This way CodeIgniter can move forward with a modular approach and over time if need be let go of supporting various parts. The swaps should be as simple as switching the packages in Composer. I also think it should push forward on the idea of a service structure. The separation of business logic from the controllers and models into a services layer. This would promote better long term support for projects written in the CI4+ It would also be AMAZING to introduce a CLI layer that provides basic CRUD builders etc, and PHPUnit (or any library) testing integration

While I can't guarantee how anything will end up, that's very similar to the tact being taken at the moment. So far, all core components have an interface, and there's a way to specify which actual class is used with a very simple configuration. With any luck, it will continue down that track.

Not so much with the Services Layer as it's been described elsewhere, though I've never understood why you can't use classes and do something similar, with the controller being the service layer, then calling whatever classes you want from there...

No word on CLI stuff yet, though.

Do you plan to separate CI repositories to App and Framework repositories?

To have them in the same repository is a little bit tricky at some moments when there is new version for example.
There has to be manually replacement of system folder, after that there has to be 1 by 1 replacements inside the app folder.

With separate repositories it can be a lot easier - system will just checkout to the new version (either with composer or git or another way).
And for App update there can be made an Update script which will take care to check for version syncing between System and App and it can list all required updates when there is newer version of System or it may require update of Sys when its older then the App..
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

(11-30-2015, 01:02 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: Do you plan to separate CI repositories to App and Framework repositories?
[/code]

We haven't discussed anything about this, yet, so I can't really say.

[quote='sv3tli0' pid='326041' dateline='1448870551']
To have them in the same repository is a little bit tricky at some moments when there is new version for example.
There has to be manually replacement of system folder, after that there has to be 1 by 1 replacements inside the app folder.

With separate repositories it can be a lot easier - system will just checkout to the new version (either with composer or git or another way).
And for App update there can be made an Update script which will take care to check for version syncing between System and App and it can list all required updates when there is newer version of System or it may require update of Sys when its older then the App..

You say it's "easier" - but then you require two different repositories, plus the creation of an update script that has to be able to accurately determine the version of both the application folder and the system folder, when files within the application folder are all subject to being modified by the app developers. Sounds much more complex to me.

(11-30-2015, 01:02 AM)sv3tli0 Wrote: And for App update there can be made an Update script which will take care to check for version syncing between System and App and it can list all required updates when there is newer version of System or it may require update of Sys when its older then the App..

I don't understand what the update script is like. So I don't understand why easily we can update.

(This post was last modified: 11-30-2015, 11:04 PM by sv3tli0.)

Its going to be easier for developers. I say that from my personal point.
I got 1 middle size Symfony2 project where I use their LTS version and the only update I do is composer update...
Usually the app has no updates at all, when we don't upgrade to major version almost nothing related to the confiugration is changed and with that the how app can stay alone.

The update script which I mention is more as advisor which will check if sys and app versions are synced and if not it will notify about that + what has to be updated in the app (following the changelog).

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2015, 11:33 PM by kenjis.)

> I got 1 middle size Symfony2 project where I use their LTS version and the only update I do is composer update...

I use CI3 and the only update I do is `composer update`, if there are no update in the application folder.
Because I installed CI3 as a dependency, and copied the application folder at the first installation.

It seems that what you say can be done even if it is single repository.

(This post was last modified: 12-02-2015, 12:32 AM by sv3tli0.)

(12-01-2015, 11:32 PM)kenjis Wrote: > I got 1 middle size Symfony2 project where I use their LTS version and the only update I do is composer update...

I use CI3 and the only update I do is `composer update`, if there are no update in the application folder.
Because I installed CI3 as a dependency, and copied the application folder at the first installation.

It seems that what you say can be done even if it is single repository.

Your solution is not good for final solution as sometime there are update inside the app folder (usually configs or even the main index.php) and you have to be sure each time when you do composer update that your configs are up to date too..
Another point is that this is manual solution which is not I am talking about..

My idea is to have the combination of app + framework easy for install, upgrades, support and everything else.
For that I believe that the framework and the app must be separated as they are 2 completely different things.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB