Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is Codeigniter 3 php 7 ready?

(10-09-2015, 02:30 AM)Narf Wrote: I'm not missing the point, I'm just tired of having to tell people that the Earth is round ...

5.4+ means "5.4 and everything above it", which includes 7 as well - that's basic logic/math. If somebody needs to be explicitly told that 7 is a larger number than 5.4, then quite frankly I'd rather not have them in the CI community.

Sorry to resurrect an older thread but this is EXACTLY why developers are so utterly hopeless at disciplines such as marketing or PR. Your reply was arrogant and borderline hostile. I completely agree with others saying that CodeIgniter needs to have "100% compatible with PHP7" in big, shiny letters on the homepage, ideally with a "Try me now!" button right underneath it. I love this product but if you want to keep the momentum going until CI4 release, I think you may want to re-evaluate some of your stances.

(Yes, I registered just to say this. Why? Because the future of CI matters to me.)

Yii published a blog article: http://www.yiiframework.com/news/92/php-7-released/

(12-03-2015, 08:06 AM)Lukas K Wrote:
(10-09-2015, 02:30 AM)Narf Wrote: I'm not missing the point, I'm just tired of having to tell people that the Earth is round ...

5.4+ means "5.4 and everything above it", which includes 7 as well - that's basic logic/math. If somebody needs to be explicitly told that 7 is a larger number than 5.4, then quite frankly I'd rather not have them in the CI community.

Sorry to resurrect an older thread but this is EXACTLY why developers are so utterly hopeless at disciplines such as marketing or PR. Your reply was arrogant and borderline hostile. I completely agree with others saying that CodeIgniter needs to have "100% compatible with PHP7" in big, shiny letters on the homepage, ideally with a "Try me now!" button right underneath it. I love this product but if you want to keep the momentum going until CI4 release, I think you may want to re-evaluate some of your stances.

(Yes, I registered just to say this. Why? Because the future of CI matters to me.)

Perhaps it was arrogant and hostile, but you've missed my point.

I don't suck at marketing (in fact, I've got more formal education on business and marketing than anything related to IT) and I understand perfectly well why you'd want those big shiny signs, but marketing has brought nothing good to programming.
You'd have a solid point if you say that we can't ignore it, but I absolutely hate this popularity-driven culture that we live in and I simply refuse to be a part of it.

But don't worry that much about CI's future just because of my opinion - I may've maintained it all by by myself in the near past, but I am not CI and CI is not me. We have a team now and I'm not part of the "PR department" in it, so don't take my posts here as official announcements.

@Lukas K

"Sorry to resurrect an older thread but this is EXACTLY why developers are so utterly hopeless at disciplines such as marketing or PR."

- Well, I would say that this is a stereotype, examples could be found in both directions. Assuming that you are right let me show an example that is likely to support your thesis:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQM0K6YG18s

Do we need "enthusiasm" like this? Insulting intelligent public with propaganda - I would not call this PR.

Enough has been said and done about PHP7. I support Narf's opinion.

(09-21-2015, 12:50 AM)Vimal Wrote: I am building codeigniter 3 app. I want to make sure is codeigniter 3 php 7 ready??

or if not. than is it support php 7 in future in 3.x branch ??

PHP 7 has a good compability on the old php versions.

So CI3 works well with basic functionality in PHP 7, just tested.

Good Luck. Big Grin

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB