Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Acknowledging Contributors

We have added a perk to the Contribute page on the website: pulling lists of the top contributors directly from github, so that we can acknowledge them. Job well done and appreciated, members!

ps - It hasn't been all fun & games ... we have also done some performance and security tuning too.
James Parry
Project Lead

Good idea  Idea
Cheers Smile
Best VPS Hosting : Digital Ocean

What's the criteria for that list? Some of the people on there (towards the end of the list, of course) have barely contributed a few lines of code.

(10-19-2015, 12:38 PM)Narf Wrote: What's the criteria for that list? Some of the people on there (towards the end of the list, of course) have barely contributed a few lines of code.

The lists come straight from the github repos. Each is ordered using what github calculates as "contributions". It appears to be a combination of commits, LOC, etc, and goes back to the origin of the repo, giving some contributors high on the list even though they are long gone (from EllisLab days). It may not be perfect, but it's what we have easy access to.

The size of the list is what comes back from github, namely the "top 30". Would you suggest a smaller list?

The stars shown are my own addition, corresponding to the number of digits in the contributions, i.e. 125 or 876 contributions would each earn 3 stars.

I think it is important to acknowledge the more active members of the community, and to encourage more, even if the ones further down the list haven't contributed anywhere near as much as those at the top of the list.

I don't really have a suggestion, but I'm thinking it also counts issues opened and/or comments made as opposed to code metrics.

Actually, I remember this job interview some time ago ... the company had looked at my GitHub profile and asked me about my contributions to HHVM. I've only ever opened a single issue on GitHub for HHVM.

I think it is a brilliant idea and should possibly be on the homepage too. It really gives an idea to the scale of the number of people that have contributed to the project.

As a suggestion though, and an incredibly menial and subjective one at that too, I think the stars should be gold!

Best wishes and thank you,

Paul.

Maybe Narf is right ..
Contributers to the framework should be people who are really active in contribution.. With 1 2 commits nobody is a real contributer..
Some kind of line should be set lets say 5 10 commits for the site and View all button to github contributes page..

(10-19-2015, 11:14 PM)sv3tli0 Wrote: Maybe Narf is right ..
Contributers to the framework should be people who are really active in contribution.. With 1 2 commits nobody is a real contributer..
Some kind of line should be set lets say 5 10 commits for the site and View all button to github contributes page..

I've said nothing of that sort.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2015, 02:11 AM by sv3tli0.)

(10-19-2015, 12:38 PM)Narf Wrote: What's the criteria for that list? Some of the people on there (towards the end of the list, of course) have barely contributed a few lines of code.

(10-20-2015, 01:36 AM)Narf Wrote:
(10-19-2015, 11:14 PM)sv3tli0 Wrote: Maybe Narf is right ..

I've said nothing of that sort.

"What's the criteria for that list?" .. this is what I target with my comment.

Applied commits are the thing that can be counted as contribution.
Of course its really different between bug fixing commits and lets say feature commits.
In the first case there can be just fixed 1 symbol while the other case is really large amount of work and discussion.

If contributors are going to be displayed at the site as framework contributors maybe the correct way is to split them to some kind of groups:
Those who are Developing, those who are Supporting and all other which have contribute with something small (perhaps those shouldn't be listed or they can be listed only with names without url/avatar). Those who have made a lot of commits and are active involved in the framework should be listed as Supporters, while developers are mostly the CI staff team.

Perhaps the last group shouldn't be at the site.

https://developer.github.com/v3/repos/#l...ntributors

The description of the API method is short, it does not reveal much on how the list of the contributors is created. Maybe there is a detailed description, but I don't know where. Anyway, I can see that the list is the same as here https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/g...ntributors and I am fine with that. Whatever the GitHub's metric is, it is applied on all the projects there. Don't touch it. :-)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB