Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter 3 for a Social Network?

Hi,

I am looking to develop some type of social network for developers. Is CodeIgniter 3 a good choice?

I plan on keeping it very basic at first and have not even laid out everything I will need in terms of features, but I have an idea of what I want to do.

Let me know - thanks.

P.S. Any suggestions on the idea itself are welcome Big Grin

(09-03-2016, 01:05 PM)JG_NJ_1990 Wrote: Hi,

I am looking to develop some type of social network for developers. Is CodeIgniter 3 a good choice?

I plan on keeping it very basic at first and have not even laid out everything I will need in terms of features, but I have an idea of what I want to do.

Let me know - thanks.

P.S. Any suggestions on the idea itself are welcome  Big Grin

I think you need to develop the idea a bit more. But yes CI is good for that sort of app especially if you use HMVC and there is a good API plugin available on github too.

For instance, is it for developers to get technical help, then you are up against the likes of stack overflow. Is it for developers to find work, up against freelancing websites like outsource.com et al. Is it to build a professional network, up against Linked In. Is it just for chit chat, up against FB, Twitter etc. Is it for sharing code snippets, up against fiddle sites and codepen etc.

I would suggest you become a lot more focused in your idea, or think up some very unique but useful function you will perform that will give you an advantageous approach over others. And that is not easy to do. And even then, when you do it, you will have to contend with people stealing the idea or doing it better or purer or cleaner and getting to a critical mass of users before you.

I wish you luck though,

Best wishes,

Paul.

All good points - it's hard to come up with something, huh? Sad

Last year we needed to build a new website for all the sponsors of a big soccer team. All the sponsors had to have a special page of their own, the sit needed to deal with different sponsorship levels, there where events organized for the sponsors where they needed to sign up for, a forum / slowchat, etc etc. A big list of requirements. Although I personally was in favor of building it from scratch as a Codeigniter project there was not enough budget to make this work. We as a team decided to go with Wordpress (buddypress) for this particular job. Alot of development days I cursed at Wordpress, but in the end the job got done within budget and the client is happy.

What I'm trying to say by this example is that for particular projects, that can easily get pretty big feature wise, existing software can also be a good fit.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB