• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[split] CI 3.2 ETA?

#1
Is there an ETA on CI 3.2? My company is looking to upgrade some CI 2 to CI 3 and it would be nice to jump up to the latest while we are at it. I am just wondering if it is a few weeks or days. If so we will wait, if not we will move forward with 3.1.2.
Reply

#2
What is ETA?
Do you want to write tests for your apps? Our book, CodeIgniter Testing Guide would help you.
Reply

#3
(12-13-2016, 06:06 PM)kenjis Wrote: What is ETA?

Estimated Time of Arrival
Reply

#4
Thanks.

And then there must be no official answer to the question.

At least there are still 18 open issues.
https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/milestone/4
Do you want to write tests for your apps? Our book, CodeIgniter Testing Guide would help you.
Reply

#5
If I were going to start a new CI project, I'd just use the current version. CI upgrades tend to be super easy. No reason not to get to work immediately.
Reply

#6
(12-14-2016, 01:26 AM)skunkbad Wrote: If I were going to start a new CI project, I'd just use the current version. CI upgrades tend to be super easy. No reason not to get to work immediately.

In general yes, but when it comes to 3.1.2 -> 3.2 all error handling seems to be changed to exceptions which, depending on the project, could be a rather big change. So an ESTIMATED time frame for release would be nice. Weeks? Months?
Reply

#7
https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/i...ne%3A3.2.0
A personal opinion: Weeks.
Reply

#8
(12-13-2016, 02:52 PM)shylor Wrote: Is there an ETA on CI 3.2? My company is looking to upgrade some CI 2 to CI 3 and it would be nice to jump up to the latest while we are at it. I am just wondering if it is a few weeks or days. If so we will wait, if not we will move forward with 3.1.2.

There's no ETA.
There never can be, as regardless of plans - we can all only contribute in our free time.

I can only tell for sure that it's NOT happening within a next month.

(12-14-2016, 07:54 AM)peterdenk Wrote:
(12-14-2016, 01:26 AM)skunkbad Wrote: If I were going to start a new CI project, I'd just use the current version. CI upgrades tend to be super easy. No reason not to get to work immediately.

In general yes, but when it comes to 3.1.2 -> 3.2 all error handling seems to be changed to exceptions which, depending on the project, could be a rather big change. So an ESTIMATED time frame for release would be nice. Weeks? Months?

It is a big change, but not one that prevents an upgrade.
Exceptions only make the errors easier to handle if they appear, but your job as a developer is to make sure these errors DON'T happen.

Perhaps there will be a few cases of a method throwing an exception where it previously returned boolean FALSE, but even if so - there would be very few instances of this.

(12-14-2016, 09:20 AM)ivantcholakov Wrote: https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/i...ne%3A3.2.0
A personal opinion: Weeks.

Just as you shouldn't judge a developer's productivity on commits count, you shouldn't make estimates based on issues count.
Reply

#9
@narf Actually, I've read the issues and I know that they may be not the whole effort. The first thing that crossed my mind was that v3.2.0 won't happen this year. Between 6 and 8 weeks seems to me a plausible term. Of course, I don't want to apply pressure on anybody that is working on voluntary basis.
Reply

#10
(12-14-2016, 10:55 AM)Narf Wrote: I can only tell for sure that it's NOT happening within a next month.

That is of course the only estimate that can be made, not within ... for sure.
And it's all the information that is needed to make the decision to go with the current version or wait for the next small or big step.
Awesome. Thanks!

And thanks ever so much for all the effort that you've put into CI.
Reply


Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  


Users browsing this thread:
1 Guest(s)


  Theme © 2014 iAndrew  
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2017 MyBB Group.