Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Open Blog - Relaunch

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2017, 09:26 AM by enlivenapp. Edit Reason: adding more info )

Hi all,

I've recently acquired the (quite old code) ownership of Open Blog.  https://github.com/enlivenapp/Open-Blog

I would like to see if there's interest from the community for experienced members to join as a contributor.  

The initial rebuild will be on CI 3.x keeping in mind it'll be refactored soon after CI 4 comes out.

Edit: The Dev Repo for OB v3: https://github.com/enlivenapp/Open-Blog-3  Feel free to watch/star/etc and alpha/beta test with me.  I'm still committing (mostly) daily, and there's lots to be done still.

Edit 2: If you're just waiting for a usable product, keep an eye on https://github.com/enlivenapp/Open-Blog Once I've gone through all the stages, that's where the RC and released will be placed, as well as the OB website.

That's a pre CI 1.7.x version better off writing it from starch.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

... under a different license.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2016, 09:04 AM by enlivenapp.)

(12-18-2016, 04:31 AM)InsiteFX Wrote: That's a pre CI 1.7.x version better off writing it from starch.

Yep,

Currently, I have CI 3.1.2 as the base and it is a complete rewrite. (function calls in views, *shudders*)

I've added HMVC and made some other pretty massive changes but not pushed those to the repo yet.

(This post was last modified: 12-18-2016, 11:31 AM by enlivenapp. Edit Reason: can't spell )

(12-18-2016, 06:09 AM)ivantcholakov Wrote: ... under a different license.

Indeed,  version 3 and up will be released under the MIT license.  That's already been changed in the new repo.

The installer has been rewritten and works on MAMP/LAMP stacks.

I'm certainly looking for someone who does Windows based CI with MSSQL (and the new one) and SQLite/SQLite3. The basis for multiple database types are in the installer, but it currently only works for MySQL/MariaDB.

Currently, the installer is only available in English. I'll be moving to language files for localization and will be looking for translators after that.

I think the idea here is a great one. A nice simple blog that is lightweight, easy to install, customize and integrate into existing websites.

The problem is that the bar has been raised so high by ghost and wordpress et al that you are facing a very big mountainscape with a powerful toolbox and a spade.

What are your aims for your open source blog? What are it's goals or target audience? What will it do differently or better?

(If that sounds nosy I apologize in advance, just interested).

Paul.

(12-21-2016, 11:41 AM)PaulD Wrote: I think the idea here is a great one. A nice simple blog that is lightweight, easy to install, customize and integrate into existing websites.

The problem is that the bar has been raised so high by ghost and wordpress et al that you are facing a very big mountainscape with a powerful toolbox and a spade.

What are your aims for your open source blog? What are it's goals or target audience? What will it do differently or better?

(If that sounds nosy I apologize in advance, just interested).

Paul.

Hey @PaulD,

Really good questions.

The reason I went looking for (something) was because there is no depth to my loathing of Wordpress, it's security issues, and trying to do/be everything to everyone.

Ghost... amazingly great for blogging. That's what it does without trying to be all the things to everyone. The one 'but', it isn't easy to install or make/edit(themes), especially in comparison to CI. My girlfriend, who is not technically inclined, installed Ghost for her blog and she wanted to do it by herself, there was cussing for a week coming from her general direction.  In the end, I was asked to help.  Modifying anything is an exercise in frustration.

I'm not really trying to be in competition with WP or Ghost (or any other software), it's not meant to do anything differently per se, but to give an alternative to those options.

The goals are:
Easy installation for just about anyone
Ability to update from the admin panel (similar to wordpress)
Easy to use/edit/publish/etc...

I just took a quick peek at the v3 version to see if I could find some interesting helpers or other parts I could use / inspire me etc. Just a quick feedback, you could make it a lighter download. You have duplicated the CI system dir in the installer dir. If you change installer/index.php to:

PHP Code:
$system_path '../system'

Then you can delete /installer/system

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2016, 02:40 PM by enlivenapp.)

(12-21-2016, 02:17 PM)Diederik Wrote: I just took a quick peek at the v3 version to see if I could find some interesting helpers or other parts I could use / inspire me etc. Just a quick feedback, you could make it a lighter download. You have duplicated the CI system dir in the installer dir. If you change installer/index.php to:

PHP Code:
$system_path '../system'

Then you can delete /installer/system

Thanks for the feedback! I missed the trees for the forest.

As for inspiration, helpers and such will be several weeks (if ever). I'm just starting on the code rewrite.

@Diederik Here's the commit of your suggestion. Thanks: https://github.com/enlivenapp/Open-Blog-...dcaf06d6e2

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB