Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Pagination with search

I've had some issues searching with pagination. I've resolved it with the following code, but I feel I'm basically doing something fundamentally wrong. Could someone check and give me feedback about what this could be? Thanks.

PHP Code:
public function read()
{

$this->load->library('pagination');

$offset 0;

$config['base_url'] = base_url("language/read");

$config['per_page'] = 3// sql query LIMIT number

$offset = ( $this->uri->segment(3) ? $this->uri->segment(3) : );

// set search

if$this->input->post('search') || $this->input->get('search') ) {

$search = ( $this->input->post('search') ? $this->input->post('search') : $this->input->get('search') );

}

else {

// user has hit return in an empty input field, or has clicked a query link with no property value

$search NULL;

}

$config['suffix'] = "?search=$search"// attaches a query onto $this->uri->segment(3), aka $offset

// !issue fix! user searches while offset is out of range of search result

if$offset != && $this->input->post('search') ){

redirect("language/read/0?search=$search");

}

// !issue fix! user searches while no GET query is in URL

if$offset != && $this->input->get('search') === NULL ){

redirect("language/read/0?search=$search");

}

$this->data['languages'] = $this->language_model->get_languages_pagnation($config['per_page'], $offset$search);

$config['total_rows'] = $this->db->query("SELECT id FROM languages WHERE title LIKE '%$search%'")->num_rows();

$config['first_url'] = "0?search=$search"// explicitly set this to the first link

$this->pagination->initialize($config);

$this->data['pagination'] = $this->pagination->create_links();

$this->render('language');

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2017, 03:13 PM by ignitedcms.)

Not entirely sure what you're doing but I'd recommend using js datatables saves the need to create pagination, search, sort columns.

Where you would have to define separate models and controllers.

It has saved me a ton of work.
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

Thanks for the new perspective. I had never thought about doing pagination on the front end.

JS datables is great, but depending on what kind of clients are running your front end, it can be an issue. It won't matter with a small set of data, but I've had to switch away from datatables on a few occasions because it can absolutely rape some browsers.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

(02-24-2017, 12:32 AM)albertleao Wrote: JS datables is great, but depending on what kind of clients are running your front end, it can be an issue. It won't matter with a small set of data, but I've had to switch away from datatables on a few occasions because it can absolutely rape some browsers.

That's a good point, I always wondered what the performance would be on a significantly large dataset. What browsers have you had issues with, I'm assuming it is earlier version of the dreaded Internet explorer?
Practical guide to IgnitedCMS - Book coming soon, www.ignitedcms.com

If you do stick to CI pagination, you can shorten your code by using $this->input->post_get('search');
The documentations says this about it:
This method works pretty much the same way as post() and get(), only combined. It will search through both POST and GET streams for data, looking in POST first, and then in GET.

(02-24-2017, 02:40 AM)ignitedcms Wrote:
(02-24-2017, 12:32 AM)albertleao Wrote: JS datables is great, but depending on what kind of clients are running your front end, it can be an issue. It won't matter with a small set of data, but I've had to switch away from datatables on a few occasions because it can absolutely rape some browsers.

That's a good point, I always wondered what the performance would be on a significantly large dataset. What browsers have you had issues with, I'm assuming it is earlier version of the dreaded Internet explorer?

There are no issues if you do it right. Can you elaborate on "a few occasions because it can absolutely rape some browser"?

Choose server processing, create the correct queries and you are fine. Even with millions of records.

(This post was last modified: 10-13-2017, 11:26 AM by PaulD.)

The datatables I have seen load all the records into the HTML contents, then use JS to limit the display. With millions of records, that would be really slow to load, and the js might be very slow to sort so many too. I imagine the right way to do it would be to use ajax for pagination and sorting, collecting fresh limited data lists as an when requested, although to be fair, I have not done this for data tables, and if I did I would probably just write my own js to do the job and not use a datatables library of any sort.

PS I started using Microsoft Edge recently (Firefox always seems to slow over time and Chrome annoys me now). I must say, it is not like the IE family of old. A few sites have peculiarities, like CI Forum code tags do not wrap around selected text, but apart from a few vagaries, it is really slick, fast, and I do like the UI for laying aside tabs, bookmarks and reading modes.

(02-23-2017, 02:57 PM)ignitedcms Wrote: Not entirely sure what you're doing but I'd recommend using js datatables saves the need to create pagination, search, sort columns.

Where you would have to define separate models and controllers.

It has saved me a ton of work.

It doesn't work if you have 10,000 records.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB