• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My almost ci site hack

(08-15-2017, 09:20 AM)skunkbad Wrote: A long time ago I had this happen. I wanted to blame all of the usual suspects, but in the end I found that it was my use of plain FTP, and the fact that another computer on my network was infected with many viruses / malware. I even changed my password to FTP, but that didn't help because that other computer was sniffing network traffic, and as soon as I used another password it would grab it.

OP never said if he/she was using plain FTP. What is it OP? Ideally use SFTP, FTPes, or anything besides plain FTP.

That i understand, but why my only ci website are hacked not others that i have made in other programming language.

Good point about encrypted connections @skunkbad.

There is also a risk in using Filezilla (perhaps the most used ftp client?). The sitemanager of Filezilla stores all your FTP credentials in an xml file in plain text or in base_64 encoding. Malware exists that retrieves those login details and sends it to the attacker. Therefor, always ensure your operating system is up to date and have a virus scanner active.

I work one day a week from my home. I have setup a vlan in my home network just to isolate my workstation from all other devices in the network. You can never be to paranoid Wink

(08-16-2017, 01:26 AM)Marku Wrote:
(08-15-2017, 09:20 AM)skunkbad Wrote: A long time ago I had this happen. I wanted to blame all of the usual suspects, but in the end I found that it was my use of plain FTP, and the fact that another computer on my network was infected with many viruses / malware. I even changed my password to FTP, but that didn't help because that other computer was sniffing network traffic, and as soon as I used another password it would grab it.

OP never said if he/she was using plain FTP. What is it OP? Ideally use SFTP, FTPes, or anything besides plain FTP.

That i understand, but why my only ci website are hacked not others that i have made in other programming language.

Programming languages or PHP frameworks? Maybe the virus maker not smart enough to deal with other programming languages? I don't know.

(08-16-2017, 01:26 AM)Marku Wrote:

we need more infos. without infos we can not help.

changed the hacker some files or only the output of the site?

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon