Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What coding challenges or projects have you given up on?

Intrigued by a post by ChicagoPhil:

(11-05-2017, 10:48 PM)ChicagoPhil Wrote: I do find it funny that people panic about code still because I was there once myself. I wanted to bring a bit of levity to approaching problems. You eventually get used to never giving up on a problem.
https://forum.codeigniter.com/thread-691...#pid348654

Here are two examples of things I have given up on:

1. Getting my code to read emails from an inbox and create database entries based on the contents.
Impossible to get right, to get stable, and not be open to corruption from users emailing stupid things.

2. Flow charts online
Creating a flow chart app that allowed users to click and drag elements with the connectors smoothly re-writing themselves like they do on powerpoint or publisher etc. Impossible to make responsive.

Just wondering what code or projects have you given up on?

Paul

About three years ago...

I took a project about a Windows desktop dot Net application that was to connect to an existing MySQL database. I was quite arrogant to use the free Visual Studio Community Edition (2008 or 2010, I don't remember well). A huge mistake. I somehow managed to implement the project it its half. There were quite bugs and quirks in .Net controls to be patched. There was need for lot of manual coding with the free development environment to be done. When I realized the whole picture I gave up.

With PHP based projects I have no a failure and this is why I intend to stick with this technology. It is a really portable platform, the language got improved and mature. Currently I am interested in watching for solutions how to reduce manual codding and bring more automation in my work. The future will show.

(This post was last modified: 11-07-2017, 04:07 AM by InsiteFX.)

The thing is never give up, get it to work first no matter what your code looks like.

Then go through it and refactor it add your bells and whistles.

The only thing I almost gave up on was when I wrote the info-zip unzip and zip code in
.net for Visual Basic a long time ago. It has since been re-written several times.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

I just thought of another thing I gave up on. I had an idea for a web app that looked just like a desktop. I worked on this for a few weeks and found problem after problem, issue after issue, just could not get it to behave how I wanted. In the end, I gave up, sadly.

I think the real cause was my lack of js skills. Now I am a bit more proficient, I might well give this another go sometime.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB