• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best way to store user activities

Hello!

I'm creating a website where users can put like to a post, where they can write a post, where they can put dislike to a post and so on. I'm writing also the "timeline" algorithm. I must write an algorithm that selects foreach user the posts to append to the "wall", like facebook.

So I thought to store the user's activities, like the like action, the dislike action, the comment action and so on. So which is the best practice? I thought about creating a table and store in it all activities, but:

EXAMPLE: I've an array of user's id like that: 
PHP Code:
$ids = array(234); 
suppose that my id is 1. I follow the user number 2, number 3 and number 4. So foreach user that I follow I'll search some activities in a time range and then I'll insert this data to my timeline. So, If I had millions/billions of data? Could there be speed problems?

Maybe you can reccomend me something that does not come to my mind ;P

Thank you!

Your method is correct. You would have a table of user_id, user_following_id, and then select the timeline for user_id in a single query, gathering the latest posts of all the users in your array of user_following_id's including the actual user_id too of course. This should be fine on a normal single server database for a large amount of data.

As for 'billions', yes you will have lots of speed problems. Dealing with big data sets like that is a massive task, one I have never had the pleasure to work on, except once on a very big pensions project long ago, but I was just a junior doing tiny parts of a massive code base.

But working on users to get up to millions is quite a task in itself, and by then you would be in a position to not be working on the project alone in all probability, with hopefully the investment to put into place distributed data servers. For now, I would put the problem of billions away for a while, you may never get anywhere near that problem.

Paul.

(12-06-2017, 12:36 PM)PaulD Wrote: Your method is correct. You would have a table of user_id, user_following_id, and then select the timeline for user_id in a single query, gathering the latest posts of all the users in your array of user_following_id's including the actual user_id too of course. This should be fine on a normal single server database for a large amount of data.

As for 'billions', yes you will have lots of speed problems. Dealing with big data sets like that is a massive task, one I have never had the pleasure to work on, except once on a very big pensions project long ago, but I was just a junior doing tiny parts of a massive code base.

But working on users to get up to millions is quite a task in itself, and by then you would be in a position to not be working on the project alone in all probability, with hopefully the investment to put into place distributed data servers. For now, I would put the problem of billions away for a while, you may never get anywhere near that problem.

Paul.

Thank you for your reply!
Yeah, I know that maybe I'll never work on billions data, but I want to learn also some "hard" technologies. 

However, I created a MySQL table "users_actions" with this fields: user_id, post_id (that is NULL when the action is about following user), action (an enum with the type of action [like, dislike, comment, follow, creation post]), action_at (a timestamp), user_two_id (when I follow an user I insert the id of this user).

To not overload the data in the table, I update the action_at for action like dislike or like. Instead: user has put like to a post, and the day after he puts dislike to the same post. I update only the past row (I update action's field and action_at's field), without creating new one. Is it a good thing?

Another question. I want to add also the emoji in my post. I know that there is some replace ("Big Grin" => replace to image.gif"). Actually I filter the messages like that:
PHP Code:
$message filter_var($this->input->post('message'), FILTER_SANITIZE_STRING
so if I write a message like "<script>alert("hello");</script>" I'll have only "alert("hello");". Now: there is some way to add the emoji (instead the emoji in iPhone's keyboard or some android phone)? Maybe editing the charset? (now it is utf-8)..

The last question. I want also to create a server to manage the notification foreach user. In the past I used NodeJS with socket.io, but I don't like it so much. Maybe you can reccomend me something about that also Tongue. I was looking for something in python, some websocket in .py..

However, thank you =)!

CodeIgniter had an emoji files and helper I have them still but they were posted some place on here,
cannot remember where.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined the CodeIgniter Community in 2009.          ( Skype: insitfx )

I you have to deal with millions of records, consider a comparison between MySQL and PostgreSQL. Maybe you would need to make an experiment.

(12-07-2017, 05:36 AM)ivantcholakov Wrote: I you have to deal with millions of records, consider a comparison between MySQL and PostgreSQL. Maybe you would need to make an experiment.

Thank you for the idea. Actually I'm using MariaDB.

About emoji: I changed my charset to utf8mb4 and utf8mb4_unicode_ci the collation and now the emoji work fine Tongue

Watch out for your field lengths, the newer character sets use 4 bytes compared to 3 bytes.

Effects index's etc;
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined the CodeIgniter Community in 2009.          ( Skype: insitfx )

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon