Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CodeIgniter Does It For Me

I found CodeIgniter easy to learn. I'm a Java and Drupal developer and needed to build two applications in PHP without using Drupal. I was able to build the apps in a week with few headaches. The big thing for me was how easy it was to get started. 

I tried Symphony but it required too much configuration. I did not like using the command line tool. Also, twig tempting was another complication. CI's PHP template views were butt simple. In addition, CI's form validation library, form helper, session library, controller and model classes are easy to figure out how to use. I'll leave Symphony for my Drupal projects whenever I switch to version 8.

Simpler is always better.

I know exactly what you mean. I tried some other framework first, but it required me to learn Smarty, so I said no.
Hey, don't work without a PHP debugger. Several free IDEs have this features built in. Two are NetBeans and CodeLobster. Without a debugger, it's like you're driving with a blindfold on -- you are going to crash!

You're right about ease of use, and CI being easier than the other PHP frameworks. I don't think it gets any easier. I coded PHP procedurally for about 3 years before using any frameworks, and when I finally started using frameworks, the appeal was that they gave me a bunch of "shortcuts". Even still, this is how I view CI. I don't need a framework that doesn't make me feel like it's making my job easier, and that's why I keep coming back to CI. I've been using CI since version 1.7.2 (2009).

You are right CI is best for application development and i personally like it most due it simple features.

Like @skunkbad, I have beem using CI since version 1.7.2 back in 2009, all the other frameworks just make you learn there new way of coding things.

CI just stays simple and fast, why reinvent the wheel/
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

I use CI for it's simplicity.

I have found Laravel a complete PITA to install and configure.

@acsv

what do you mean by PITA?

(04-20-2016, 04:07 PM)acsv Wrote: I use CI for it's simplicity.

To each his own. My company uses CI but I have also built on laravel. Laravel is FAR more powerful out of the box, but CI is very easy to get going.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

(04-27-2016, 09:24 PM)albertleao Wrote:
(04-20-2016, 04:07 PM)acsv Wrote: I use CI for it's simplicity.

To each his own. My company uses CI but I have also built on laravel. Laravel is FAR more powerful out of the box, but CI is very easy to get going.

How would you compare them speed and memory wise? I know of another framework which adds a ton of "great features" automagically for you (in some cases even if you don't need them they are loaded) Unfortunately, the added extra automagic made it very slow and a memory hog in a real word high volume environment. Now they are adding on even more code to find all kinds of way's to speed it up and work around code.

One reason I personally enjoy using CI is that I start small and fast and build/add on what I need. Instead of getting all kinds of "extras" and then trying to work around and turn off the ones I don't need.

DMyers

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB