Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI3 or CI4 for Q3 2018 to Q1 2020 at least?

Hi.

I'm new here. A little bit about myself, I started learning PHP4 as a hobby back in the days when I was 18 years old. I created a website where you can search and download MP3s illegally. I had so much fun.

I'm now 31 and that was 11-12 years ago since the released. I'm not a professional programmer and a chef in profession, I rate my skills at 5/10 because there are just too many languages and technologies to learn. I gave up C, C#, C++, ASP, mIRC script, Ruby, Python, MySQL and many more to focus on PHP. During those time front-end XHTML was so famous and the only reason I can still cope up with HTML5 and CSS3 until now. I'm familiar with Bootstrap 4 and UIKit 3 to get things done faster. I'm currently in the process of learning vanilla JS because of the dynamic client-side request which is just too cool to ignore - no jquery.

Enough ranting! Recently, I wanted to build a web-based data-driven SaaS application project. It was at that time I first tried PHP framework. I choose CodeIgniter 3.1.6. I love the simplicity and due to this, I've also learned a lot on object-oriented stuff. The documentation is so nice and coming from a non-native English speaker, I can read and understand the docs easily.

Last year, I heard about CI4 but it took so long to become stable (not even beta). I wanted to try CI4, but then again, I'm not sure when it will ever be released since there is no timeline, milestone, or whatsoever. The development is very slow (but not abandon). I wanted to also stay at CI3 but I'm not sure if my project will become obsolete once CI4 arrive and I can feel the migration will be very painful.

This is why a few weeks ago, I tried Laravel and for goodness sake, that framework gave me a whole bunch of headache and sweats (lumen, vagrant, homestead, valet, webpack) like wtf (composer still ok)?. I got stuck even when configuring the apache's v-host and windows hosts file. I finally got it working and to be honest, I'm so overwhelmed and the learning curves is as high as the mount Everest, I thought I'll better mastering PHP7 itself first (I plan to buy a book, can anyone suggest). Honestly, I got my first full website up and running in CodeIgniter 3.1.8 in less than a week (for submitting cooking recipe and in-store credit for paypal payment gateway for each published articles) but I spent more than 2 weeks just to memorize some of Laravel's terms like eloquent and CLI commands (artisan illuminate tinker etc.)... even the routing is very confusing unlike CI3 which is straight forward, not sure about CI4 but from the docs I see CI4 is going the Laravel path.

So, my original question is when is the End of Life for CI3 and if I plan to build my application on 3.1.9 what will happen in the next 1-2 years or when PHP 7.4-7.9 or even PHP8 is released? Should I opt for CI4 instead? I've also heard about CakePHP, Symfony, Phalcon, apart from that so-called famous Laravel but I think my project problems can easily be solved by using only CI3. I don't want to invest so much time learning frameworks to solve some simple problems when I can use it to develop a new cooking menu. In other words, I'm worry about my project's maintainability.

p/s: Not the best grammar but I hope you get what I'm trying to point out.

Thank you.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB