Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Migration from Wordpress to CodeIgniter

Hello everyone,

I am the webmaster of some websites (most of them are mine and some are client's projects) running mostly on Wordpress and Joomla.

I am quite frustrated with continuous and time consuming Wordpress updates and the security issues regarding both wordpress and joomla websites.   Two of my websites were already hit by hackers, although I use only paid themes and plugins and never install any cracked software, in the wordpress case due to outdated plugins, and in the Joomla case due to Joomla's built-in lack of strong security.

I plan to switch the websites to other platforms, and I am currently looking at CodeIgniter and Drupal.  Since Drupal is in the same category as wordpress and joomla, I would surely prefer a platform like CodeIgniter for the platform switch.

So I come here to ask a few questions before migrating:

1. Is CodeIgniter a really strong platform regarding security?
2. Do I have to update any themes, or plugins or whatever every now and then like I do in Wordpress ?
3. Is there a plugin or any way to migrate the existing websites to CodeIgniter without paying a fortune or getting a master degree in computing?
4. Can this migration be done in a SEO friendly way without loosing my current google rankings?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and patience.

(This post was last modified: 08-09-2018, 09:07 AM by php_rocs.)

@sage12,

Welcome.

Wow! You asked some very specific questions and I'm quite sure you will get lots of answers. I will give you my two cents to your questions.

1. CI (CodeIgniter) is a framework not a CMS (Content Management System) like Wordpress, Joomla and Drupal. You have a choice of building your own CMS or using a CMS built on the CI framework. That being said CI takes bugs and security issues seriously just like any other framework does and has put procedures in place to handle security issues ( https://hackerone.com/codeigniter & https://www.codeigniter.com/user_guide/g...y#security ).

2. If you use third party themes and plugins to build your site then yes, you will have to update them every now and then. Remember, software is always changing which includes viruses too! NOTE: CI does releases as well. Current stable version ( https://github.com/bcit-ci/codeigniter/releases ).

3. Doing a search on Google goes give you some suggestions ( https://www.google.com/search?q=migrate+...fox-b-1-ab ). Just make sure that you are using the current stable release of CI.

4. CI is very flexible when it comes to SEO friendly links.

P.S. While I'm a big fan of CI I would feel remiss if I didn't mention that there are other CMS's that are on a much smaller scale that can do the same work ( https://www.slant.co/topics/5409/~php-cms & https://www.cmscritic.com/awards/ & https://www.google.com/search?safe=activ...3pyEcgjXJM ).

1. Is CodeIgniter a really strong platform regarding security? Yes

2. Do I have to update any themes, or plugins or whatever every now and then like I do in Wordpress ? Not really, but you've goto develop them.

3. Is there a plugin or any way to migrate the existing websites to CodeIgniter without paying a fortune or getting a master degree in computing? No. You've got to do a lot of programming.

4. Can this migration be done in a SEO friendly way without loosing my current google rankings? Yes

I'd stick with WordPress unless you're willing to do a lot of work. Converting to Drupal is going to give you the same issues. Drupal is also more complicated than WordPress but it's a better CMS.
Simpler is always better

(08-09-2018, 09:26 AM)donpwinston Wrote: 1. Is CodeIgniter a really strong platform regarding security? Yes

2. Do I have to update any themes, or plugins or whatever every now and then like I do in Wordpress ? Not really, but you've goto develop them.

3. Is there a plugin or any way to migrate the existing websites to CodeIgniter without paying a fortune or getting a master degree in computing? No. You've got to do a lot of programming.

4. Can this migration be done in a SEO friendly way without loosing my current google rankings? Yes

I'd stick with WordPress unless you're willing to do a lot of work. Converting to Drupal is going to give you the same issues. Drupal is also more complicated than WordPress but it's a better CMS.

I agree.

CI is a PHP framework Wordpress is a "CMS". Drupal is very complicated, not probably worth the investment. The primary difference between a FRAMEWORK like CI and CMS like WP is that WP provides a complete solution to building a website without any coding capabilities. A framework like CI is merely a library of APIs you would use to built a website/app. A framework like CI offers no out of box interfaces to build websites like WP. Depending on the complexity of the site migrating from WP to CI would involve building an administrative interface and front-end front complete scratch. That is something that WP and Drupal offer out of the box which makes them very different from a framework like CI.

(08-09-2018, 01:56 AM)sage12 Wrote: Hello everyone,

..snip..

So I come here to ask a few questions before migrating:

2. Do I have to update any themes, or plugins or whatever every now and then like I do in Wordpress ?
3. Is there a plugin or any way to migrate the existing websites to CodeIgniter without paying a fortune or getting a master degree in computing?
4. Can this migration be done in a SEO friendly way without loosing my current google rankings?

Thank you very much in advance for your time and patience.

1. CodeIgniter has some great security features out of the bos. The security of your site is as good as that and what you add to it with your own code. Security is not a set and forget thing. There's an arms race out there. What was standard practice a few years ago doesn't cut it these days.

2. All code should be checked over. I look at how I code code now compared to a couple years ago and there are changes. I've come back to refactor and maintain projects I've done in CI.

3. There's no easy way to migrate. It involves rolling up your sleeves and getting down and dirty with PHP & MySQL.

4. I moved my site from Drupal to a bespoke CI application a couple years ago. I kept the the same urls so I didn't have issues with writing a whole bunch of 301 redirects. Moving to CI sped up my site because I reduced the number of stylesheets & js calls. The database calls were cut by a factor of 20. The memory footprint was cut by a factor of 10. 

There are a lot of advantages to moving to CI but it also involves quite a bit of work. I haven't abandoned WordPress or Drupal. I still use them for projects. CI is one more tool in the armory. There is no right or wrong answer. What I use depends on the requirements of the project.

Whatever you use, remember to factor in maintenance and security.

Hello guys,

As per your question, I like to give direction to your requirements.

1. Is CodeIgniter a really strong platform regarding security? => YES 100%

2. Do I have to update any themes, or plugins or whatever every now and then like I do in Wordpress ? => because of it was not cms this a framework so it cant update automatically you have to update it manually.

3. Is there a plugin or any way to migrate the existing websites to CodeIgniter without paying a fortune or getting a master degree in computing? => NOT FOR NOW

4. Can this migration be done in an SEO friendly way without losing my current google rankings? => it depends on your development of a website.

"I've got a jackhammer, but thought it would be fun to invent fire, then learn metallurgy...and..."

(This post was last modified: 10-19-2018, 10:44 PM by ciadmin.)

(08-09-2018, 01:56 AM)sage12 Wrote: Hello everyone,

CodeIgniter Security Features:
Below are some of the best practices about Internet security and some coordinate Internet security features.
URI protection
CodeIgniter helps to reduce the possibility of malicious data that sends any tools to your URI strings.
XSS Filtering
CodeIgnitor cross site scripting filter comes with. These filters use tactics to try to steal your data or other cookies on malicious JavaScript or other types of malicious things.
The XSS filter should only be executed. Filtering input data can change data in unnecessary ways, except for special characters avoiding passwords and enhancing security.
SQL Injection
In a SQL injection attack, the insertion from the client will insert the SQL query or "injection". Successful SQL injection query can read data from database, change data. Unauthorized user activates crawl functions and destroys database with SQL queries.
CSRF security
The CSRF is referred to as a cross-site request forgery, which is an invader's way of repaying their victim's wrong appeal to the request.
CodeIgniter provides CSRF protection from the box, each GET HTTP request can be automatically triggered, but your specific forms must be submitted in a certain way.
Confirm input data
CodeIgnitor is a form validation library that supports your data, sorting and processing. If your application does not work in case, always check and erase all input data.
Tap all the data before inserting the database
Do not block information in your database. For more information, see the section discussing database queries.
Hide your files
Another good security procedure will only leave your index.php and assets. These are the only files you can access from the Internet. If your viewers are allowed to see anything else, you can access important data and enable scripts.

So, yes it is !

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB