Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: What do we do with the Encrypter module?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Build it into CI4 core
59.57%
28 59.57%
Doesn't matter to me
25.53%
12 25.53%
Leave it out of the core
14.89%
7 14.89%
Total 47 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[done] Encrypter

@jlp,

I should have waited. I would have voted to leave it out. Is there a feature to undo my vote?

(03-25-2019, 09:00 AM)php_rocs Wrote: @jlp,

I should have waited.  I would have voted to leave it out.  Is there a feature to undo my vote?

You should be able to go back in & "revote"

(03-25-2019, 09:16 AM)ciadmin Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 09:00 AM)php_rocs Wrote: @jlp,

I should have waited.  I would have voted to leave it out.  Is there a feature to undo my vote?

You should be able to go back in & "revote"

All I see is ... *You voted for this item.

Thanks for that clarification albertleao- very helpful. I’m still unclear what I would use an encryption library for enough times to merit a dedicated internal library - either I’m not encrypting things I should be or people are using CI for way different things than I ever have!

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 07:17 PM by ciadmin.)

(03-25-2019, 10:59 AM)php_rocs Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 09:16 AM)ciadmin Wrote: You should be able to go back in & "revote"

I see that too sorry - a different polling app that I use allows changing the answer afterwards.
I am aware of your preference, and will take it into account.

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 08:49 PM by php_rocs.)

(03-25-2019, 05:32 PM)ciadmin Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 10:59 AM)php_rocs Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 09:16 AM)ciadmin Wrote: You should be able to go back in & "revote"

I see that too sorry - a different polling app that I use allows changing the answer afterwards.
I am aware of your preference, and will take it into account.

@ciadmin Thx

(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 10:29 PM by albertleao.)

@MGatner 
There are many reasons to encrypt things instead of hashing them. If you have sensitive data that you may want to retrieve later but will be stored outside of your application (AWS S3, a DB), you might want to encrypt it to prevent any data loss while your data is resting.  There are times where you want to encrypt something that you are sending over the web which will be decrypted by your receiver.

Think of Whatsapp. All messages are encrypted with end-to-end encryption which allows all of our chats to be invisible to the employees at facebook. Our devices have the ability to decrypt the messages.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

(03-25-2019, 10:28 PM)albertleao Wrote: @MGatner 
There are many reasons to encrypt things instead of hashing them. If you have sensitive data that you may want to retrieve later but will be stored outside of your application (AWS S3, a DB), you might want to encrypt it to prevent any data loss while your data is resting.  There are times where you want to encrypt something that you are sending over the web which will be decrypted by your receiver.

Think of Whatsapp. All messages are encrypted with end-to-end encryption which allows all of our chats to be invisible to the employees at facebook. Our devices have the ability to decrypt the messages.

false hope. Something like perfect encryption does not exist on the internet. Everything can be decrypted someday. If you want something private, do not put it on the Internet. Smile

(03-26-2019, 01:29 PM)Paradinight Wrote:

false hope. Something like perfect encryption does not exist on the internet. Everything can be decrypted someday. If you want something private, do not put it on the Internet. Smile

huh?
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

(03-26-2019, 01:33 PM)albertleao Wrote:
(03-26-2019, 01:29 PM)Paradinight Wrote:

huh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/End-to-end...#Backdoors

Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB