Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Poll: Keep sequential migrations in CI4?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
40.00%
2 40.00%
No
60.00%
3 60.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Migration Methods

CI4 currently supports two different naming formats for migration files, sequential (001, 002, 003) and timestamp (20190417134413):
https://codeigniter4.github.io/CodeIgnit...file-names

Sequential was a backwards-compatible addition to CI3 - should it continue into CI4? Check out this thread for an example of one of the limitations this might pose:
https://forum.codeigniter.com/thread-733...63511.html

Would it be useful/interesting to add a "Don't Care" option to the poll?

Timestamp based can be problematic if your team is working in multiple time zones, so I think the sequentual is a must have!

(04-18-2019, 01:47 AM)orionstar Wrote: Timestamp based can be problematic if your team is working in multiple time zones, so I think the sequentual is a must have!

I think we can overcome that concern by forcing all timestamps generated through the cli method to be in UTC. Then won't matter where you live and teams should be able to all use it just fine, right?

we use sequential migration for client migration and timestamp for dev migration
-> the client migration order is different because some features are not published yet ( but already have migration for it ).

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2019, 09:32 AM by orionstar.)

(04-18-2019, 09:23 PM)kilishan Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 01:47 AM)orionstar Wrote: Timestamp based can be problematic if your team is working in multiple time zones, so I think the sequentual is a must have!

I think we can overcome that concern by forcing all timestamps generated through the cli method to be in UTC. Then won't matter where you live and teams should be able to all use it just fine, right?

Sounds good for me, thanks!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB