Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Suggested hosting

Hi all,

Having done some CI sites before, I've decided for this current project to use CI again.

This new project will potentially have a lot of users of various kinds.  Not all of course will be online at the time time.  In addition the site will need to support document uploads and downloads of scanned documents.  It will be a web app that we sell to users the services it provides.

There will be need for the site to run some automatic utilities such as scanning a table and sending out "update" emails to expired users.  There will be some date related stuff where a scan will occur and if something has been been done by a date then emails are sent etc.

At first, since this thing has not been sold yet we are probably going to host with a smaller typical host like SiteGround or something fairly inexpensive.

However if this thing goes where we hope it goes we will need much more.   I have little experience in the "much more" category.  I know that we can fire up either VM or static hosts on things like Amazon, but what else is there for high speed, high demand sites?

It seems you go from "shared" to dedicated type hosting.   Are there any great deals, things to stay away from? etc?

The principles of this project are not webadmins and I don't want to do that job either so if this grows we will likely hire a webadmin but I'm hoping we can find a site with some reasonable services built right in.   

Any suggestions, thoughts, ideas?

For the start, the low-end, anyone have any recommendations?  SiteGround ok?

thanks in advance!

Regardless of site size, I recommend going with AWS or Azure. Not only is it cheap to start off with, you have much more control over your environment + it's easier to scale.

The learning curve may be more than another site, but it 100% will payoff in the end.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

(04-19-2019, 09:56 AM)albertleao Wrote: Regardless of site size, I recommend going with AWS or Azure. Not only is it cheap to start off with, you have much more control over your environment + it's easier to scale.

The learning curve may be more than another site, but it 100% will payoff in the end.

Thanks for that.   So I'll look into AWS.  I have no issue with initial learning curve but the scaleability is very nice.

(04-19-2019, 12:30 PM)MarkWS7M Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 09:56 AM)albertleao Wrote: Regardless of site size, I recommend going with AWS or Azure. Not only is it cheap to start off with, you have much more control over your environment + it's easier to scale.

Thanks for that.   So I'll look into AWS.  I have no issue with initial learning curve but the scaleability is very nice.

Amazon lightsail seems to be virtually perfect.  Seems to allow us to scale as needed and sales rep said we could pretty easily take image from lightsail instance and push to EC2 for an even bigger scale.

Very good advice albertleao!

I'm probably going to move some other websites I have over there.

(This post was last modified: 04-23-2019, 05:15 PM by ciadmin.)

If you tell me sir about AWS details .. i think amazAm server right. What the difference to another server. Actually i want to use this server in my *SEO LINK REDACTED* . Can you help me regarding AWS.

for me all hosting have avantage, so, however i look very nice support and runtime 24/7. the price is good in Almost all hosting, but give you a few optimal performance

You can try Vultr or Digital Ocean, both offers hourly rate. You can spin up new virtual servers if you need more. You can also easily upgrade/downgrade your servers too.

The thing to remember about AWS or Digital Ocean is that you are responsible for maintaining the "full stack". If you're not webadmins then these kinds of services might be more than you care to tackle.

That said, I like Digital Ocean (DO). It provides much of the same infrastructure that AWS does but with a smaller learning curve. As you add more stuff from the AWS bag of tricks costs can easily get out of control. That a little harder to do with DO. But they are still capable of scaling to meet some pretty demanding needs.

I'm another vote for DigitalOcean. Reliable service and really easy to work with if you're comfortable setting up a VPS. But even if you're not, they've got great tutorials on setting up a LAMP server.

I have hosted CodeIgniter apps on GoDaddy's shared hosting before. They're not my favorite because they monkey with the pricing and also have some shadowy throttling rules, but it usually works OK.

But really, any PHP 7.2+ hosting environment should work.
Designer, developer and Diet Dr. Pepper addict. Messing up PHP since <?= $when['year';] ?>

I would suggest AWS Lightsail, It is very cheap and much more reliable than other service providers

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB