Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
CI 3 or CI 4 for new project
Big Grin 
(This post was last modified: 10-10-2019, 06:38 AM by Bary.)

Hi,
I would like to know your opinion, I should use CI 4 beta and update it when the stable version has arrived or should I use version 3 and update after?

Sorry for my english

@Bary,

This questions has been answered many times in the forums. Here is a useful link: https://forum.codeigniter.com/thread-72930.html

simply CI3 you don't want your client to bother you with his calls about bugs

(10-10-2019, 06:33 AM)Bary Wrote: Hi,
I would like to know your opinion, I should use CI 4 beta and update it when the stable version has arrived or should I use version 3 and update after?

Sorry for my english

Hello my friend !!!

Go with CI4 and be happy !!! No major bugs reported...

The final version will come out in a few weeks...

Version 4 is nearing completion and should be released in a few weeks. There are many developers hard at work cleaning up the known issues. It's a good time to get fast action on any problems you discover. You will be doing the community a favor by using version 4 and reporting new issues while you are in development.

The main problem with using the code base now is that it is changing every day - sometimes multiple times a day. So keep you code in sync with the development branch requires constant attention.

Obviously CI4, I have already developed an multi-vendor E-Commerce project with CI4 and now waiting for the final release. As there is major bugs reported in CI4 beta, you should go with it and update it after releasing the final version.
"Who thinks in code"
Perfectly describes who I am
mbparvez.me

You can go with CI 4 as many latest features are there as compared to CI 3. Since CI 4 is the latest edition of Codeigniter you will get more support as the regularly releases patch for bugs.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019, 01:37 PM by sibbu2005.)

This is the beta so better to use the older stable versions. There may be many fixes to come. So you should wait for the stable version to avoid future revisions. You can use CI 4 Beta for learning purpose and demo but this is not good for a commercial or live project.
No SEO spam - see forum guidelines

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2019, 01:36 PM by kris2.)

I started a new project with CI4. The only problem I am facing is php version >= 7.2 not every where is ok.

The problem is the if i started to code with CI3, I should rewrite it again because CI3 and CI4 has so many changes. And I think it is stable enough now. They have been slow to release because they work well and did tests.

We have been using CI4 as a REST backend (no views) to a JavaScript UI since beta3. Pretty database intensive project.
We are running RC1 in production and will move to RC2 this weekend. The initial issues we found in the betas have all been fixed.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB