Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Proper way for minimal translation of CI4

I have started translation of Codeigniter 4 and I see that much of what I am translating is basically useless. For languages with small speaker base, like Lithuanian, all the PHP development happens in English, and much of the messages I am translating are never shown to users - they are seen only by developers. An example: language file HTTP.php contains strings like:

Quote:'cannotParseURI'            => 'Unable to parse URI: {0}',
  'segmentOutOfRange'          => 'Request URI segment is our of range: {0}',
  'invalidPort'                => 'Ports must be between 0 and 65535. Given: {0}',
  'malformedQueryString'      => 'Query strings may not include URI fragments.',

These are not messages that would make any sense to a site user; they are directed at a developer, and translating these strings would actually make the messages less inteligible, as most developers would have to translate the word I use for "segment" back to English before they understand what is meant.

So I have decided I will only translate the messages that the end user will be seeing, like the Validation.php, Email.php and the like.

Now, how do I properly do that? Should I include all files in Codeigniter translation but only translate files/strings that I want, leaving the rest in English? Or should I only include in the translation the files that I do translate? if I translate only part of a file, is it ok to leave only those strings that I have translated, deleting the rest?

I do not yet have a working CI4 installation to test how the system would react to various versions of partial translation, so if anyone could help me with that, I would be grateful.
==

Donatas G.

There are aspects of a full translation that are awkward, as you point out, but it is full sets we are looking for, for the official translations repository. There was one for CI3, which is why the language is in the "missing" set for CI4.

Only the internal code needs translation mos of the new web browser all have language translation.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

(10-26-2019, 03:03 PM)ciadmin Wrote: There are aspects of a full translation that are awkward, as you point out, but it is full sets we are looking for, for the official translations repository. There was one for CI3, which is why the language is in the "missing" set for CI4.

So you say partial translation would not work / be accepted into the repository?
==

Donatas G.

That is correct, sorry.
We are looking for consistent & full sets.
The exception to that is for sub-locales, where there may only be a small number of translations that differ.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB