Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Userguide UX and privacy issues

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2020, 06:15 PM by orionstar.)

UX
Using the new userguide is a pain in the arse... the texts are flickering on every click (FOUT??), after the ads are loaded on the sidebar then the sidebar moves a bit etc... 

Privacy
The sidebar ads are adding multiple cookies to track the users between websites so if I want to read the new userguide I will be tracked... cool...
This kind of things will be included in the downloads too? Can I opt out of this crap? Maybe if I become a paying member or sth like that?

Good to know
Also you should be transparent about the monetization... So codeigniter is now a foundation, okay. The foundation will get the money after the click throughs? There will be other types of monetizations? Can we anticipate payed contents or any paywall? (except ofc Lonnie's private Patreon thats okay)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2020, 06:21 PM by Gary.)

Hey,

Which site are you on?  Can't say I've seen a single advert, or any trackers yet... just a suggestion the search doesn't work without Javascript.

It's not perhaps your brower, that's pwned (like by google et al?)

... aah! Yes, I see one of my addblockers is killing one advertising tracker now.

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2020, 06:26 PM by orionstar.)

(04-16-2020, 06:19 PM)Gary Wrote: Hey,

Which site are you on?  Can't say I've seen a single advert, or any trackers yet... just a suggestion the search doesn't work without Javascript.

It's not perhaps your brower, that's pwned (like by google et al?)

... aah! Yes, I see one of my addblockers is killing one advertising tracker now.

https://codeigniter.com/user_guide/index.html

Using Chrome 80.0.3987.163 also ABP is enabled and this is the only site with ads like this.
Also checked the site with cURL and the ad script is still present in the source:
<script async type="text/javascript" src="//cdn.carbonads.com/carbon.js?serve=CE7I62QW&placement=codeignitercom" id="_carbonads_js"></script>

(This post was last modified: 04-16-2020, 06:33 PM by Gary.)

I'm currently on FF, though I see my ABP doesn't pick it up at all... it was one the others (Ghostery or EFF Privacy Badger) that killed it.

Thinking about it... I haven't seen an online advert for years. Smile

Thx for the info, I'm only using adblock maybe I'm old fashoned a little... Big Grin
But I think we shouldn't use multiple adblockers to access A DOCUMENTATION at the first place.
I'm very curious about this why its there and if it's intentional what other monetizations will come.
I hated how the Laravel and the Symfony ecosystem is monetized but those were better in this at least they provide useful AND related services...

(04-16-2020, 06:10 PM)orionstar Wrote: UX
Using the new userguide is a pain in the arse... the texts are flickering on every click (FOUT??), after the ads are loaded on the sidebar then the sidebar moves a bit etc... 

Privacy
The sidebar ads are adding multiple cookies to track the users between websites so if I want to read the new userguide I will be tracked... cool...
This kind of things will be included in the downloads too? Can I opt out of this crap? Maybe if I become a paying member or sth like that?

Good to know
Also you should be transparent about the monetization... So codeigniter is now a foundation, okay. The foundation will get the money after the click throughs? There will be other types of monetizations? Can we anticipate payed contents or any paywall? (except ofc Lonnie's private Patreon thats okay)

I agree on the flickering part. I wasn't involved on the update to the styles there but will try to get that resolved. I hadn't noticed the resizing of the sidebar in FF or will Chrome but will take another look at that. We do accept pull requests Smile

The money is going to the Foundation, yes, to pay for hosting. For the last 5 years or so hosting has been provided by BCIT. Before that CI was hosted by a for-profit company that ate the fees as part of its operating costs. The last 6 months or so Jim paid for it out of his own pocket. Due to hosting changes with the server it's hosted on we had to change plans and re-up for a year, so I just dropped several hundred dollars to cover that. Anything extra we make will stay in the Foundation's coffers to cover other expenses (legal, etc). At some point it would be nice to hire some one part-time to work on the framework but that won't happen with just a single ad.

There are no plans for pay-walls, etc. At some point, when the Foundation is less of a shambles, we will likely start taking sponsorships or the like to get us closer to the goal of having a staff person able to work on the project. But we're not there yet.

And since I know it will be asked - when I say it's in shambles I mean that Jim founded a non-profit in Canada. The Foundation's Board was Jim, me, and PaulD. Jim's gone, PaulD has had to step away, which leaves me. I am not a Canadian citizen which presents it's own challenges. One of Jim's relatives is a lawyer in Canada but I've not been in touch with him just yet. But at some point a decision will need to be made on whether to disband that entity and create a US-based one, where I am, or stick with the existing one, or do something completely different. Which will mean new team members, new legal fees, domain transfers, and all of the other fun that goes with that.

So there's the transparency. As always, with this being open-source, maintained only by volunteers, if you see something that you feel needs improved, you are encouraged to step up and help make it better. The user guide source is in the main repo. If you need help understanding we'll do our best to help out.

Thank you for your detailed reply and the transparency. Sorry to read about this dire state of the foundation and in general about stuff around CI.

Some of my toughts:
- That hosting price is way too much. A regular shared hosting should cost $50/y or a VPS capable to run sth so simple like the codeigniter.com maybe $15/m/$180/y. I think you should choose sth cheaper for the time being.

- Please start taking sponsorships as soon as possible. This ad in the userguide is a joke. Most of the programmers will use an adblocker at the first place just like Gary above. I've get it you have to get money to make operations viable but I think this is so small money it doesn't even matter but it makes the whole brand cheap and not so respectable. If there will be some kind of offical sponship opportunity I will do my part if I still be around. Also if it will be a thing please give us a way to transfer money via bank transfer or sth official. I can't support anything through patreon or paypal.

- I understand your hint that the fw and the CodeIgniter as whole needs volunteers. If I would have the means I would contribute in a meaningful way not just talking on an online forum but I don't have time. I supported the CI community before by buying Pyro Pro and addons way back then, purchasing books including yours etc & will do that in the future. If still there will be hope for CI to be a viable solution.

The flicker have been resolved at code level, our theme of choice loaded JavaScript before CSS. It haven't made it to the website yet, as it got finished yesterday. But it will be fixed soon™.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB