Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Upload Library - How to set allowed_types to any extension except .php?

Hello, I am using CodeIgniter to build a file uploading website. Currently I have set ,

Code:
$config["allowed_types"] = "*"

When I upload a file it uploads the file successfully. But when I upload a .php file it also uploads successfully which is dangerous for my website. So I need a way to restrict any file with .php extension. How can I accomplish this?

Hi, I'm afraid there are no built in support for blocking file extension(s). You will need to check the file extension yourself before you use do_upload() or only whitelist what you want.

(07-16-2020, 12:54 AM)jreklund Wrote: Hi, I'm afraid there are no built in support for blocking file extension(s). You will need to check the file extension yourself before you use do_upload() or only whitelist what you want.

Thank you very much for your help. If there would be a not operator for file extensions like ^(php), then I could use it like this,

PHP Code:
$config["allowed_types"] = "*|^(php)"

How can I suggest CodeIgniter to take this in their roadmap?
Also, how can I check file extensions before uploading?

If there aren't one feature request already for this (haven't checked) you create them here:
https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/issues

As this is CodeIgniter 3 right?

You need to manually check your $_POST array for your uploaded file, and see what kind of name it where uploaded as. Just so you know, that means they can upload a .php files as .txt, and rename it to .php if you provide that kind of tool as well. So it may not be as secured as you may think.

(07-16-2020, 01:55 AM)jreklund Wrote: If there aren't one feature request already for this (haven't checked) you create them here:
https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter/issues

As this is CodeIgniter 3 right?

You need to manually check your $_POST array for your uploaded file, and see what kind of name it where uploaded as. Just so you know, that means they can upload a .php files as .txt, and rename it to .php if you provide that kind of tool as well. So it may not be as secured as you may think.
Thanks. But my application doesn't have any option to rename files.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB